Old October 8th 03, 12:23 PM
Neurotech

Default Is DSP a must for R75

I have owned an R75 for about a year and am ready to upgrade. Does
the DSP make a big difference, or should I invest in a new filter.

Thanks
Old October 8th 03, 06:09 PM
GrtPmpkin32

Does
the DSP make a big difference, or should I invest in a new filter.

It depends greatly on your listening habits, and the types of signals you
monitor most often.
The actual DSP noise reduction is a little iffy. It works nicely, when used
conservatively, on many signals, but doesn't make a huge difference unless you
also run it high and then the audio you want to hear is clipped and muddied
with artifaction. Sparingly, it can make a difference a lot of the time, but
not a big difference. Just my opinion.
BUT, the notch filter that is part of the UT106 unit is a very nice feature if
you listen to amateurs on crowded bands, or int'l broadcasters on crowded
bands, and it does indeed clean up the whistling and whining without degrading
the audio of the station you are trying to hear.
If you've made it this far without your ears exploding from bad interference
problems, you may want to try a new filter or go some other route before
purchasing the DSP option. But if you could use the het-killing features of the
notch filter, give it a go. Besides, depending on the filter you want, the
UT106 could be a bit cheaper!
Linus
Old October 8th 03, 07:23 PM
DeWayne

"GrtPmpkin32" wrote in message
[...]

Great advice overall. I would rather have an NF-60 to get rid of the
carriers though. It works near perfect. Instead of investing in filters I
would also try the Kiwa mods first. I nearly always enjoyed my R75 without
using the DSP.
DeWayne

Old October 8th 03, 10:53 PM
bpnjensen

[...]

Actually, *IF* you have the Kiwa mods, the UT106 works quite a bit
better - it is usable all the way up to level 15 on some signals,
although never really resounding, it also does not warp the sound
nearly as badly as without the Kiwa mods.

Bruce Jensen
Old October 8th 03, 11:36 PM
Soliloquy

(Neurotech) wrote in
om:

Of the R-75, Radio Netherlands has this to say.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icr75.html

"Digital signal processing (DSP) is available with the optional UT-106
DSP unit (US$140). The more expensive receivers like the Kneisner &
Doering KWZ-30 and the Japan Radio Company NRD-545 have the DSP circuitry
built into the IF stages, a theoretically effective methodology when
combating difficult reception conditions. The IC-R75 has DSP functioning
in the audio stage, and adds an auto notch function (ANF) (removing
stable or moving heterodynes) too. Press and hold the NR button for two
seconds enables the tuning knob to set the DSP level; we found a setting
of 3 or 4 (out of 16) to be best in the majority of cases. In our
opinion, there is no need to purchase an after-market external DSP unit
(c.f. "Digital Signal Processing... and a look at two market leaders of
post-receiver processing units", World Radio TV Handbook, 1997 edition).

Although the manual clearly states the DSP and ANF functions work only in
the SSB mode, we note instances on weaker signals where the noise
reduction works to some degree in the AM mode".

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/html/dsp.html

Regards

Old October 9th 03, 05:59 AM
GrtPmpkin32

Actually, *IF* you have the Kiwa mods, the UT106 works quite a bit
better - it is usable all the way up to level 15 on some signals,
although never really resounding, it also does not warp the sound
nearly as badly as without the Kiwa mods.

Indeed true, and my R75 had the Kiwa modifications done before I ever bought
the UT106... so I've had a chance to hear it without, so to speak. But I still
find that even if it's 'better' (which is true), it's muddier than I like if I
go above more than 6. But again, I do like the notch filter and use it alot.
I suppose if the original post'er could pinpoint exactly why they need either
the DSP or a new filter, they could save themselves some dough. The DSP and the
Kiwa mods combined aren't too steep, but if all they wanted was a tighter
envelope for SSB or an occasional higher-fidelity sojourn into AM territory, it
may be cheaper to try a new filter internally. But if they get the DSP and the
mods, it would be a pretty safe and efficient bet for their bread that they'd
have a better unit than what they have now.
Linus
Old October 10th 03, 07:12 AM
starman

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

[...]

Since the sync detector on your R-75 is presumably working better with
the Kiwa sync' mod, do you prefer to listen to an AM signal using the
sync' or do you still use ECSS, like many other R-75 owners do?

Old October 10th 03, 05:16 PM
GrtPmpkin32

Since the sync detector on your R-75 is presumably working better with
the Kiwa sync' mod

Nothing 'presumably' about it, heheh! It improves the synch drastically!

do you prefer to listen to an AM signal using the
sync' or do you still use ECSS, like many other R-75 owners do?

Most often, if the signal is stable, I'll not use either. When needed though, I
do use synch over ECSS. To my ears, the fidelity of a synch'ed signal is nicer
than in ECSS, and with the 'fixes' in the circuit involving the AGC and so on,
it works quite nicely. But of course ECSS is a tried-and-true, dynamite tool
for DXing, and I'll use it at times if the synch can't lock on a really
weak/fading signal (the R75's synch, even when fixed with mods, can only lock
so far) so I won't say I use the synch exclusively. But more often than not the
synch is engaged for tough signals.
It nice to have a working synch detector and very stable SSB features, and have
the choice whenever you need to use one or the other.
Linus

Old October 10th 03, 11:02 PM
starman

GrtPmpkin32 wrote:

[...]

Does the Kiwa sync' mod ever lose it's lock on a signal?

Old October 11th 03, 05:34 AM
GrtPmpkin32

Does the Kiwa sync' mod ever lose it's lock on a signal?

I've yet to experience such a thing outright, but there are times when a REALLY
weak or deeply fading signal allows for some distortion which a decent synch
shouldn't normally allow. I'd say it's more an AGC thing than a synch thing,
but I'm not any expert. 99 times in 100, the synch locks dead on and stays
there, if it's been fixed by Kiwa's mod.
Linus