Old October 12th 03, 01:43 AM
Tony Meloche

Well, more or less. But more importantly, conductivity isn't a factor for
99% of the work we do. All the conductors work well enough, and other
factors, such as availibility, durability and ease of handling are the most
important. I'm sure stainless steel wire could make a fine SWL antenna or
ground wire, even though it doesn't conduct electricity as well as copper.

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/ele...ty/resistance/

Frank Dresser

Damn...you would have to mention steel. I put up a 50' random with made of
steel rather than copper as my other copper random wire stretches.

Would you advise replacing the steel with copper wire? This is a newbie
question.

thanks

elfa

It shoudld be fine. The "whip" antenna in portables is made of
steel, and most rooftop antennas are made of aluminum.

Tony

Old October 12th 03, 02:23 AM
Frank Dresser

"elfa" wrote in message

Damn...you would have to mention steel. I put up a 50' random with made

of
steel rather than copper as my other copper random wire stretches.

Would you advise replacing the steel with copper wire? This is a newbie
question.

thanks

elfa

Steel wire is fine. Conductivity is more than adequate. Doing something to
slow down the development of rust at the connections might be worthwhile.

Frank Dresser

Old October 12th 03, 02:33 AM
Frank Dresser

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

For HF, I totally agree. My passion is 1296 MHz Moonbounce- and silver

plated
cavities are a must for high efficiency.

Dale W4OP

Sure. Skin effect is a big deal at 100 times a typical SW frequency. It's
also important inside IF and some RF transformers. Have you ever seen ads
for those expensive audio cables in which they make a big deal the skin
effect? To paraphrase some comedian -- "Being an audiophool is God's way of
saying you have too much money".

Frank Dresser

Old October 12th 03, 09:28 AM
starman

Tony Meloche wrote:

Frank's thought was pretty much the same as mine. The most conductive
of all metals is silver, but you don't see many people arguing to use a
4'-8' length of silver rod because it "works even better than copper"
:D

During WWII the 'Manhattan' (atomic bomb) project needed some very large
electromagnets for a device that refined Uranium-235. There was a
shortage of copper so they appropriated *all* the silver in Fort Knox to
make the wire for the magnets. They returned every ounce of it.

See:

http://www.cosmos-club.org/journals/2002/larson.html

Old October 12th 03, 09:41 AM
starman

Frank Dresser wrote:

"elfa" wrote in message

Damn...you would have to mention steel. I put up a 50' random with made

of
steel rather than copper as my other copper random wire stretches.

Would you advise replacing the steel with copper wire? This is a newbie
question.

thanks

elfa

Steel wire is fine. Conductivity is more than adequate. Doing something to
slow down the development of rust at the connections might be worthwhile.

It's difficult to make a lasting connection to steel wire other than
welding or brazing to it. Mechanical connections will eventually develop
too much resistance (oxidation/rust) unless they are completely sealed
in a material such as epoxy or polyester resin. The best way to use
steel wire as an antenna is to use a continuous length, all the way to
the radio without any wire connections outside.

Old October 12th 03, 09:29 PM
Yourfatassaunt

ground is ground the whole world round......
Old October 12th 03, 11:37 PM
AbbN

Hi,

How about using the ground in a 3 prong electrical socket???? Better than
nothing??? Dangerous??? I'm in a high rise

--
Take Care
Abb N

Old October 13th 03, 12:16 AM
Brenda Ann

"AbbN" wrote in message
Hi,

How about using the ground in a 3 prong electrical socket???? Better than
nothing??? Dangerous??? I'm in a high rise

In those circumstances, it's a crapshoot. Often connecting to a building
ground like that will add more noise than signal. If you do want to give it
a go, connect to the screw that holds the plate on, don't just stuff a wire
in the hole, as it can find it's way to the hot side.

Old October 13th 03, 03:25 AM
WShoots1

If you do want to give it a go, connect to the screw that holds the plate
on, don't just stuff a wire in the hole, as it can find it's way to the hot
side.

Good idea re the screw, if the outlet box is metal and if metal conduit is used
to house the wiring. Whatever is done, if it works, when giving it a try, then
get a cheap plug from Ace. Remove the ground pin and use it as a connector on
the jumper wire from the radio.

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old October 13th 03, 07:21 AM
starman

Brenda Ann wrote:

"AbbN" wrote in message
Hi,

How about using the ground in a 3 prong electrical socket???? Better than
nothing??? Dangerous??? I'm in a high rise

In those circumstances, it's a crapshoot. Often connecting to a building
ground like that will add more noise than signal. If you do want to give it
a go, connect to the screw that holds the plate on, don't just stuff a wire
in the hole, as it can find it's way to the hot side.

If the building has a steel frame, you might do better to connect to the
structure than the electrical ground system.

Is lighting nuts? CIL Antenna 29 October 23rd 04 11:38 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
"no ground" improvement? Tony Meloche Shortwave 7 October 31st 03 02:15 PM