Old October 17th 03, 02:01 AM
Brenda Ann

Default Never knew there was so much on LW!!

I got Bill's trawler radio last night. Today I had a chance to hook it up to
my 5 band vertical dipole, and put a more robust set of batteries in it
(last night I had a short wire and a 9V radio battery).

When tuning across it's four bands (2 LW, AM, and tropical band SW) I found
it to be extremely sensitive, and quite selective, even without using the
bandpass filter. It does tend to overload and get a few images on MW, if the
gain is turned wide open (I don't think it uses AGC), but if it's turned to
about 80%, it's very very good. I use as my MW benchmark the AFN-Korea
outlet in Seoul. It's supposed to be 5 KW on 1530 KHz, but it really can't
be heard well much past the toll gate into/out of Seoul, about 15 Km from
the stations tower. If I can hear it here at all, I feel I'm doing good (80
Km S. of Seoul). On the Pioneer car stereo in our tracker, it's way down in
the mud. On this radio it's actually pretty listenable, though of course not
"local" sounding by any stretch of the imagination.

On LW, I received no less than six different beacons, and three Russian
broadcast stations (I wish I understood Russian!!) The beacons, at least,
were easy to differentiate, since they all have different CW ID's. Prior to
using this radio, I had never heard more than one beacon, and only one of
the Russian broadcast stations. And that was using my Grundig Satellit 650,
and/or my Yaesu FT-847, so this is really quite a radio for LW and MW. The
tropical band SW is more problematic. I can hear many Korean language
stations on there. It's difficult to tell which are local origination, and
which are images or harmonics. There are a couple, however, that can be
safely assumed to be coming from outside Korea, and beamed here in Korean
language. This can be so because there is considerable fading of the daytime
signal, which tends to rule out closeby signals and harmonics.

All in all, a great little radio. It's well worth what Bill asked for it,
and handily beats almost all of the regular bunch for AMBCB reception. With
a good speaker plugged into it (there is no internal speaker), it's even
quite good for program listening.

--
Illigitimus non tatum carborundum

*Don't let the *******s wear you down*

Old October 17th 03, 08:14 AM
--exray--

Brenda Ann wrote:
I got Bill's trawler radio last night.

All in all, a great little radio. It's well worth what Bill asked for it,
and handily beats almost all of the regular bunch for AMBCB reception. With
a good speaker plugged into it (there is no internal speaker), it's even
quite good for program listening.

Glad you're happy with it. Its no lie that a 40 year old Danish trawler
radio can whoop-ass over the latest whizz-bang $500+ jap gizmo when it
comes to actual reception capability.

-BM

Old October 17th 03, 09:46 AM
Gregg

Behold, --exray-- signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Glad you're happy with it. Its no lie that a 40 year old Danish trawler
radio can whoop-ass over the latest whizz-bang $500+ jap gizmo when it
comes to actual reception capability.

-BM

Too right mate!

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old October 17th 03, 10:02 AM
Mike Terry

Yes, have a look at http://lwca.org/msglist1.htm

Mike

Old October 18th 03, 04:59 AM
Brian Denley

Les:
To be fair, it must be remembered that much of what you call the 'sand state
stuff' is intentionally deafened on MW or below. I have several boatanchors
as well and I love 'em, but above 2 MHz my solid state stuff pretty much
leaves them in the dust, especially for selectivity. The shape factor of
those old xtal filters was not very impressive.

Having said that, I still love to fire up the Halli, Hammer or Collins and
cruise the bands.

--
Brian Denley

"Llgpt" wrote in message

You are correct on that, I have been using a SP-600 for many, many years

on bcb
dx and find it to be better than most of the sand state stuff out there.

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.

i confess Steveo CB 18 December 15th 04 06:20 AM
I KNEW HAMS were stupid...but???? Psychiatrist to AKC General 1 December 10th 04 01:07 AM
What's wrong with recent DXPeditions Peter Dougherty Dx 0 March 13th 04 09:47 PM
I knew this one was coming! Jerry CB 12 February 6th 04 11:14 PM