Old October 22nd 03, 03:57 AM
Gregg

Behold, WShoots1 signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Today it dawned on me that the water meter thingy for my house is
probably a transponder type that won't transmit until it's triggered by
a signal from the meter reader guy.

Bill, K5BY

Score!

Monitor the packets.

Possibly you can spoof the sumbitch to getcha 1/4 price power!

evil grin

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old October 22nd 03, 08:01 AM
starman

WShoots1 wrote:

I'm going to put a portable shortwave radio near the new meter and see what
I get.

Great idea, Starman. I'll check out my water meter that way in the morning.

I don't why I didn't think of that. Every few years, I have to roam the streets
to find an interfering pole transformer or street light ballast.

Bill, K5BY

I just found two bad (noisy) street lights in my neighborhood that were
causing intermittent noise. The new high pressure sodium (yellow) lights
seem to have more problems than the older mercury vapor (blue-white)
ones.

Old October 22nd 03, 01:53 PM
WShoots1

Gregg: Monitor the packets. Possibly you can spoof the sumbitch to getcha
1/4 price power!

Heh heh... Good idea, except for one problem. Now that I'm widowed, I only use
1000 gal/month of water, but I have to pay for 2000 minimum whether I use it or
not. Of course, should I go back to growing some food... ):

Starman: The new high pressure sodium (yellow) lights seem to have more
problems than the older mercury vapor (blue-white) ones.

When they installed street lights here a few months ago, they were sodium.
Already I reported on intermittent one, which they fixed. I'll check them out
because I do get noise at night that doesn't seem right. Thanks.

Bill, K5BY
Old October 23rd 03, 08:56 AM
matt weber

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:01:09 -0400, starman wrote:

WShoots1 wrote:

I'm going to put a portable shortwave radio near the new meter and see what
I get.

Great idea, Starman. I'll check out my water meter that way in the morning.

I don't why I didn't think of that. Every few years, I have to roam the streets
to find an interfering pole transformer or street light ballast.

Bill, K5BY

I just found two bad (noisy) street lights in my neighborhood that were
causing intermittent noise. The new high pressure sodium (yellow) lights
seem to have more problems than the older mercury vapor (blue-white)
ones.

Yellow is Low Pressure Sodium, HPS is more of a pink.....

Old October 24th 03, 07:31 AM
starman

WShoots1 wrote:

I'm going to put a portable shortwave radio near the new meter and see what
I get.

Great idea, Starman. I'll check out my water meter that way in the morning.

I don't why I didn't think of that. Every few years, I have to roam the streets
to find an interfering pole transformer or street light ballast.

Bill, K5BY

I just found two bad (noisy) street lights in my neighborhood that were
causing intermittent noise. The new high pressure sodium (yellow) lights
seem to have more problems than the older mercury vapor (blue-white)
ones.

Yellow is Low Pressure Sodium, HPS is more of a pink.....

You're right. Most of the new lights on the back streets in my area are
low pressure sodium but we do have some high pressure ones on the main
roads where more light is needed. In either case, they seem to fail more
often than the mercury vapor ones, particularly going off and on all
night. It's the restart that causes the RF noise.

WTB: HP/Agilent 346A (or B) Noise Source for HP 8970A Noise Figure Meter Carl R. Stevenson Homebrew 0 January 21st 04 04:20 AM
160 Meter noise Metalhead Antenna 4 January 20th 04 03:08 PM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement Dave Shrader Homebrew 35 August 11th 03 01:07 AM
CCIR Coefficients METHOD 6 REC533 // AUCKLAND --> SEATTLE http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 July 16th 03 08:21 AM