Old October 26th 03, 02:43 AM
Burr

Default The World is on Fire

The fire bugs are setting fires faster then the fire
departments can put them out in Southern California.
I am monitoring on my scanner the USFS, BLM and the
local fire departments and it's unreal. Over a 100 homes
just burned up in a few minutes and two reports have come in
of two new fires in the last few hours.
The winds are blowing at 30 to 60 mph and the fire are
jumping fire breaks and roads everywhere.

Burr

Old October 26th 03, 02:49 AM
Macman

Are the winds due to the Santa Ana's blowing? I thought the Santa Ana's
ended a month ago?

Old October 26th 03, 03:01 AM
Burr

YUP,
My south place is at the ONT. airport and we just had 30 mph
guest here. I thought the "Santa Anna's" were just starting.

Old October 26th 03, 03:50 AM
Burr

Power is burning down. LA may lose power anytime.

One person, maybe a fire fighter just got run over by fire.
He's alive and they are trying to get him down.

Real high winds are hitting them.

Old October 26th 03, 05:04 AM
Paul

Burr: (or anyone else)

Is there an ONLIE scanner link in Real Time Audio
to this fire scene?? (aKa police scanner.com or similar?)

Pse advise via posting a reply for me and others !

Tnx! Paul - Harrisburg Pa.

Old October 26th 03, 10:01 AM
Frank

Paul ...

^ Is there an ONLIE scanner link in Real Time Audio
^ to this fire scene??

I don't know, but it would be only a very small part of the picture; fires
generate a lot of traffic. The California Division of Forestry (CDF) starts
out by assigning two frequencies to the incident: a command frequency and a
tactical frequency. There are also about 10 fire units of various types that
constitute the initial response. As the fire grows and more units respond,
the incident commander might request additional tactical frequencies and
logistical frequencies.

In addition to the assigned frequencies there are the air frequencies, RED,
YELLOW, and BLUE, plus 10 VHF AM frequencies in the aviation allocation.

In addition to the CDF frequencies, other organizations, such as the U.S.
Forest Service and BLM, will be using their own frequencies for internal
organization, support, and tactics. Also, from what I've seen in the past,
fire teams in the field may be using FRS radios for internal team
communications.

So to effectively follow a major fire you need one receiver for COMMAND, one
for AIR, one to cycle through TACTICS, two to lock on to other interesting
frequencies, and two others to cycle through all remaining frequencies. And a
couple more ears.

Frank

Old October 26th 03, 10:32 AM
Diverd4777

Terrible news... seen forest fires, with no wind there scarey..
Even the Sierra club is for fire breaks;

- but with 30 - 60 MPH winds..

Be safe Burr..

Dan