Old November 1st 03, 05:50 PM
ITMA

Default London ICF 2001D / 2010D

There's so much talk of failed FETs and variations in quality during its
production run that I'd very much like to meet a fellow 2010 / 2001D owner
and compare notes as to signal strength and sound clarity whilst listening
to the same station. Anyone in or around London have one of these things?

Old November 2nd 03, 12:37 AM
RHF

= = = "ITMA"
= = = wrote in message ...
There's so much talk of failed FETs and variations in quality during its
production run that I'd very much like to meet a fellow 2010 / 2001D owner
and compare notes as to signal strength and sound clarity whilst listening
to the same station. Anyone in or around London have one of these things?

ITMA,

Try the "Sony ICF-2010/2001D User Group" on YAHOO!

~ RHF

..

..
Old November 2nd 03, 06:44 AM
starman

ITMA wrote:

There's so much talk of failed FETs and variations in quality during its
production run that I'd very much like to meet a fellow 2010 / 2001D owner
and compare notes as to signal strength and sound clarity whilst listening
to the same station. Anyone in or around London have one of these things?

Here's a way to determine if the FET is bad in a '2010' without having
to open the radio or use any test equipment.

http://strongsignals.net/access/boar...ges/27117.html

Old November 2nd 03, 11:04 AM
ITMA

Yes, that's right, but I gather there are in fact two or three of these FET
things. I've changed one - which one I forget now but could check if I
opened it up again - but as my radio, despite all the cult like rave reviews
and praise it gets on the internet, still is no where near as good as many
antiquated non-digital radios costing a fraction of the price from a junk
store, have my doubts that it is working as well as it should, hence my
request ....

Old November 2nd 03, 11:16 AM
ITMA

Try the "Sony ICF-2010/2001D User Group" on YAHOO!

Tried that a year ago - no response so thought I'd try this instead!

Old November 2nd 03, 11:08 PM
starman

ITMA wrote:

Yes, that's right, but I gather there are in fact two or three of these FET
things. I've changed one - which one I forget now but could check if I
opened it up again - but as my radio, despite all the cult like rave reviews
and praise it gets on the internet, still is no where near as good as many
antiquated non-digital radios costing a fraction of the price from a junk
store, have my doubts that it is working as well as it should, hence my
request ....

The FET "problem" with the '2010', refers to a particular transistor
located on the smaller PC board, which fails because of static
electricity on the antenna. This FET is the 'AM-RF Amp' labeled as
'Q-303' on the schematic. The original type is a '2SK152-1'. You may
have other problems with your '2010' which are not related to this FET.

Old November 2nd 03, 11:15 PM
ITMA

Do you know what the other one or two do? Q302 rings a bell from earlier
internet postings. Also, can you offer any clues as to how to actually test
for, or spot symptoms for, other non-FET faults?

Old November 2nd 03, 11:34 PM
starman

ITMA wrote:

Do you know what the other one or two do? Q302 rings a bell from earlier
internet postings. Also, can you offer any clues as to how to actually test
for, or spot symptoms for, other non-FET faults?

Q-302 is the RF amp' for the MW/LW ferrite-rod antenna. If it failed,
you would notice a loss in sensitivity for that tuning range only, not
Shortwave (above 1620-Khz), FM or AIR. As for other possible problems,
we need to know more about the symptoms to help you. For example, is the
FM and AIR reception still normal? Did you try the 'FET' test I
previously posted?

Old November 16th 03, 11:30 AM
ITMA

And no response this time either! What about anywhere within the M25 ???