Old November 10th 03, 11:49 PM
Alan Smithee

Default CAR STEREO - Shortwave

This may have been discussed earlier, and if so I apologize.

I've been thinking of installing a AM/FM/SWL receiver in my car and
there's precious little info out there on the subject. Understandable
I suppose considering everything's going digital.

I did come across this Sony model: XR-CA620X AM/FM/Shortwave Cassette
Car Stereo that's even available here in Canada.

I was just wondering if anyone on this group has had any experience
with this model... or others, for that matter.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 11th 03, 03:46 AM
David

I bought a Sony XR-4950 AM/FM/SW from Jacky's in Dubai and it works great in
my car. You shouldn't have a problem with the CA-620X.

Old November 11th 03, 05:23 AM
Robert Sillett

I bought the XR-CA640X from Jacky's about four months ago. I think the 640
is slightly higher-end than the 620 you mention in that one can attach XM
Radio, CD/MP3, etc. to it.

I am very happy with the radio. It's not a DX machine, but it's great for
listening to the regular broadcasters. I have a little write-up of the
radio on my web site:
http://www.sillett.us.eu.org/radio/s...l#sonyxrca640x

Bob

Old November 12th 03, 12:16 AM
Alan Smithee

Thanks David. Jacky's is quite the place, apparently. A friend
visited the store -- warehouse is more like it! -- when she was in
Dubai last year. Too bad I didn't think of this then.

Old November 12th 03, 12:19 AM
Alan Smithee

Many thanks for this, Bob. It's exactly what I was looking for.
Cheers!

Old November 12th 03, 06:42 PM
Larry Weil

In article ,
Alan Smithee wrote:

I did come across this Sony model: XR-CA620X AM/FM/Shortwave Cassette
Car Stereo that's even available here in Canada.

Where in is this available? Is it at a place that does mail-order to
the US, or at one of the retail chains?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Old November 13th 03, 01:47 AM
Alan Smithee

I found it online at www.shortwavestore.com. They're in Whitby,
Ontario near Toronto.

I e-mailed them for confirmation, but haven't received any response.
We'll see. I'll post whatever correspondence I get in return.

In article , Larry Weil

Old November 13th 03, 04:46 PM
Robert Sillett

What "serious gaps" are you talking about? The XR-CA640X receives:

2940 - 7735 kHz
9500 - 10140 kHz
11575 - 18135 kHz

It receives all the whacko American broadcasters that broadcast in the 7500
and 7600 kHz range.

The only major ommissions are the extreme lower part of the 31m band and the
13m band. While I do miss the 13m band, it doesn't really matter too much
because we're in the bottom half of the sunspot cycle. And since I almost
never receive 120m at home, I'm not too worried about trying to DX ABC Alice
Springs on 2310 kHz in the car!

I don't understand why you would use a portable since you already have the
XR-CA640X. What can't you receive?

Bob

"Jim" wrote in message
I have one, it works OK, but has serious frequency gaps for
out of band stations, got it from Jacky's in Dubai. Going to
rig up another portable.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:23:49 -0500, "Robert Sillett"
wrote:

I bought the XR-CA640X from Jacky's about four months ago. I think the

640
is slightly higher-end than the 620 you mention in that one can attach XM
Radio, CD/MP3, etc. to it.

I am very happy with the radio. It's not a DX machine, but it's great

for
listening to the regular broadcasters. I have a little write-up of the
radio on my web site:
http://www.sillett.us.eu.org/radio/s...l#sonyxrca640x

Bob

"David" wrote in message
.. .
I bought a Sony XR-4950 AM/FM/SW from Jacky's in Dubai and it works

great
in
my car. You shouldn't have a problem with the CA-620X.

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
This may have been discussed earlier, and if so I apologize.

I've been thinking of installing a AM/FM/SWL receiver in my car and
there's precious little info out there on the subject.

Understandable
I suppose considering everything's going digital.

I did come across this Sony model: XR-CA620X AM/FM/Shortwave Cassette
Car Stereo that's even available here in Canada.

I was just wondering if anyone on this group has had any experience
with this model... or others, for that matter.

Thanks in advance.

Stereo Seperation of Stereo AM Jianhong Wang Broadcasting 3 April 27th 04 03:29 PM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM