Old November 16th 03, 05:32 PM
Tim ODonnell

Default Pre-selectors

Hello all,

It is nearing Christmas time and I am preparing my wish list for the
family. Before I put one on my list I would like some of your opinions on
pre-selectors. I am mainly looking at the MFJ line. If any of you have any
of these products I would be interested in hearing how you ell about them.
With this in mind I also need to let you know that I wish to enhance my
listening abilities, *NOT* make it an overly complex task. Some of these
look as though I could spend hours fiddling and not be able to take the time
to listen.

As usual your help is always appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Old November 17th 03, 08:55 AM
starman

Tim ODonnell wrote:

Hello all,

It is nearing Christmas time and I am preparing my wish list for the
family. Before I put one on my list I would like some of your opinions on
pre-selectors. I am mainly looking at the MFJ line. If any of you have any
of these products I would be interested in hearing how you ell about them.
With this in mind I also need to let you know that I wish to enhance my
listening abilities, *NOT* make it an overly complex task. Some of these
look as though I could spend hours fiddling and not be able to take the time
to listen.

As usual your help is always appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Why do you think you need a preselector?

Old November 17th 03, 12:11 PM
Diverd4777

Why do you think you need a preselector?

Good question..

IF you use an antenna amp, the Preselector can go in between the
pre selector & the radio.
If you have continuous overload problems, Then maybe you need one.
I do have one, ( MFJ 1046 ) have had it hooked up for years
but rarely use it except on pass-thru mode..

Dan

Old November 17th 03, 03:02 PM
Tim ODonnell

This may be a bit naive of me but I just want to get the best reception that
I can. I have read some of the advertisements and a few reviews of
pre-selectors and everyone said that the helped reduce noise, and aided in
better reception. Now if these are a gimmick to grab your bucks then please
enlighten me. I really thought that they were common-place in peoples
shacks? Your question makes me think otherwise.

I also use a Sony AN-LP1 antena with my portable when traveling. This is an
active loop with a pre-selector. It is better than the whip with my DX398
and sometimes by tuning the pre-selector off band I can reduce gain and
noise and get a bit better reception or audibility.

So now my question is this. Is my thinking off? I just want the best
reception that I can get. I just thought that a pre-selector might help.
Like Dan said below I really don't expect to use it all the time. Just when
it may help.

Regards

Tim

Old November 17th 03, 06:01 PM
Ron Hardin

Tim ODonnell wrote:
So now my question is this. Is my thinking off? I just want the best
reception that I can get. I just thought that a pre-selector might help.
Like Dan said below I really don't expect to use it all the time. Just when
it may help.

You can hear down to the internal noise of the receiver. If the antenna brings the
propagating noise up over that level, no further improvement in the antenna will help,
except making it directional to favor signal or disfavor noise, if noise is directional.

Modern receivers are very sensitive, but tend to succumb to overload and cross modulation
that results (hearing anything loud in lots of places instead of the one it's at).

A preselector kills off loud things that aren't where you want to listen, giving you
the ability to get a little bigger antenna to work for you, up until it exceeds the
internal noise, and then a bigger antenna doesn't help again.

So you get the possibly small improvement between hearing propagating noise and
the intermodulation limit somewhat expanded, is all. The usual experience though
is that the preselector ``reduces the signal,'' because you tend to compare it with
the big antenna without preselector and not the built-in whip.

They put a preselector on some active antennas because of the intermodulation; other
active antennas (McKay Dymek DA100E) have lots of headroom and don't need the
preselector, and so you don't have to tune it. It may still overload your receiver
though, for instance almost any portable; and then you have to add a preselector
because of the receiver. It doesn't overload an R8B.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 17th 03, 06:25 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Al - KA5JGV"
writes:

Personally I wouldn't bother with a preselector. The slight improvement is
not worth the cost, the additional knob tweaking required, or the lost space
taken up by it. If you are having problems with overloads, save the
preselector money and invest it into a better receiver.

Al KA5JGV

- I've rarely used mine ( Except with the cheap one IF sets)
- But they look Cool As Hell

If they had a blinking light to show how the'd saved your set from overload
they'd sell a million

Old November 17th 03, 06:51 PM
Tim ODonnell

I don't want any extra knobs to turn that's for sure. One post talked about
propagation noise over receiver noise or other noises. now we're reaching
the limits of my knowledge. I don't know what propagation noise sounds like!
So that in itself is a problem. I use an old R8 and it doesn't overload I
know what that sounds like. I was just hoping that on occasions that I could
possibly eliminate cross talk on frequecies that I cannot tune out thru the
passband. It is the same type of problems that everyone has who loves to
listen to the radio and DX. I just thought that the Preselector might be a
tool that might be used to reduce a little noise, intermod and other types
of interference. Sorry folks I don't know all the terminology I just like to
listen and tinker a little.

If anyone else has something to share on this subject I am interested to
here what they have to say.

Tim

"Al - KA5JGV" wrote in message
Hi Tim,
No, a preselector is not a gimmick, but as long as you use phrases such as
"might help" or "a bit better" then you have a decent picture of what to
expect from it.

Use of a preselector is most noticeable with a lower quality receiver. If

it
tends to overload or pick up stations that shouldn't be there, a

preselector
"might help". The better quality receivers already have preselectors built
into them and they are properly matched to the receiver circuitry.

Old November 17th 03, 07:07 PM
Ron Hardin

Preselectors are very broadband; they just knock down 80m when you're
listening to 40m, say. They're on the order of MHz.

Passband is well attacked by selectable sideband (to get to the side
away from the interference), or a brickwall audio filter in the
special case of an interfering SSB signal offset in the direction
of the SSB sideband you're listening to. Passband is order of kHz.

Heterodynes are knocked down with an audio notch.

General background hiss type noise can be gotten at with a DSP.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 17th 03, 09:47 PM
RHF

ToD,

Pre-Selectors: Do They Work ?
- Sometimes Yes )
- - Sometimes NO ;-{

MFJ makes many Antenna Tuners and Pre-Selectors.

1. Some are for SWL "Receive Only" Use.
* MFJ-956
* MFJ-959C
* MFJ-1020C (Active Antenna & External Antenna Pre-Selector)

2. Many others are for HAMs who are using them with Transmitters.
- - - If devise has a SWR-Meter, Inductor or Delay Function then it is
a HAM type unit.
* MFJ-901B
* MFJ-904
* MFJ-1040B (Active Antenna & External Antenna Pre-Selector)
* MFJ-1048
* MFJ-949
* MFJ-901B

3. If you have 'noise' problems in your area/location; then consider a
"Passive" Pre-Selector (NO built-in Amplifier).
* MFJ-1045C
* MFJ-1026 (Noise Cancelling Antenna)

4. If you do NOT have 'noise' problems in your area/location the
consider an "Active" Pre-Selector (with a built-in Amplifier).
* MFJ-959C

TBL: When it comes to Pre-Selectors:
- Can't Hertz ;-{
- - Just Mitz Help )
It is better to focus on your Antenna
and Spend your Time & Money there first.

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Tim ODonnell"

Old November 18th 03, 12:43 AM
Richard Cranium

[...]

If you set it for "unity (zero) gain", what you have is an additional
tuned RF stage that gives extra RF selectivity, and it can be a
blessing on a weak station. However, most people try to use a
preselector as an RF amplifier and cause more problems with intermod
and cross-talk than they already had.

They can be a useful tool, but they are not a cure-all.