RadioBanter

-   -   "Emergency" SW radios (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39152-%22emergency%22-sw-radios.html)

Dentistguy November 16th 03 10:26 PM

"Emergency" SW radios

I'd like to hear opinions on any of the "emergency" short wave radios available
that have alternative energy sources, such as hand-cranking for extended power
outages. I've seen Grundig FR 200, Kaito KA 008. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stinger November 16th 03 10:56 PM

I have the Grundig FR-200, and it's one of my favorite radios (probably the
best $40 I ever spent).

That said, you should look at the "Freeplay Plus" at C.Crane. I've never
used one, but I do have their CC Radio Plus, and it's a very high quality
radio. It has a crank mechanism, but also the option of solar power. See
it he http://www.ccrane.com/freeplay_plus.asp

-- Stinger

Jim Douglas November 17th 03 12:44 PM

Grundig $40.00 - "Freeplay Plus" $100+ . I wonder what the big difference
between them besides the LED light and such? Is the Plus worth that much
more? Anyone have one?

Frank White November 17th 03 03:10 PM

In article ,
says...

I'd like to hear opinions on any of the "emergency" short wave radios

available
that have alternative energy sources, such as hand-cranking for extended

power
outages. I've seen Grundig FR 200, Kaito KA 008. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The FR-200 is my choice of emergency radio. Sturdy, multi-powered,
sensitive enough to bring in distant stations, adequate sound...
And, of course, cheap enough so you can buy several and keep one
in all the places you might be (car, home, work) where you might
NEED an emergency radio.

FW

Diverd4777 November 17th 03 06:25 PM

- Still like the Jwin JX-M14.

If you really need a radio with a crank because all the stores that sell
batteries
have been blown away by an apocalypse,
or
washed to sea by 1,000 Foot Tsunamis,

- Your screwed anyway.!

The separate flashlight / Small AM/FM/SW radio combo worked fine for me during
the last blackout..

http://store.yahoo.com/kb-electronics/jx-m14.html

Dan

Geoffrey S. Mendelson November 17th 03 09:21 PM

In article , Diverd4777 wrote:

If you really need a radio with a crank because all the stores that sell
batteries
have been blown away by an apocalypse,
or
washed to sea by 1,000 Foot Tsunamis,

- Your screwed anyway.!

They may still be there, but impossible to get to. I live in Jersualem.
During the last gulf war, we carried gas masks and outfited sealed rooms.
I carried my gas mask in a gym bag, along with a small radio (with a speaker)
a flashlight, a pack of wet wipes and a small camera.

At home, I had an FR-200. I bought it because we could be sitting in our
sealed room for hours while the radio played loud enough for everyone to
hear.

Most likely we would still have modern conviences, such as electricity,
cable tv and internet. But if the electricty went out, being able to sit
by the light from the radio hearing a human voice from the outside would
be essential. There might have been a hundred AA batteries in another room,
but we could not get to them, nor could we light a candle.

As for stores being closed, even an inch of snow closes the schools here.
No snow tires, no snow plows, and very steep hills. It's gone completely
in a day or two, but while it's here, it's a mess.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM:

Sanjaya November 17th 03 10:25 PM

"Dentistguy" wrote...
I'd like to hear opinions on any of the "emergency" short wave radios available
that have alternative energy sources, such as hand-cranking for extended power
outages. I've seen Grundig FR 200, Kaito KA 008. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've been reading all the great replies to this post, and
know I want to buy an "emergency" radio too. The
Kaito KA008 looks pretty good to me, but does anyone
own one and care to give an evaluation.
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA007D.htm
I'm also reminded of a post I made many months ago...
asking about a blurb I saw in the 2003 Passport.
On page 104 of the 2003 issue, at the bottom of the
"Coming Up" box, it says "Emergencies? Look for the forthcoming
appearance of a new digitally tuned windup/solar powered travel
portable, reportedly engineered for serious performance."
As far as I know, no one knew what that referred to when I
posted the question... so I ask again... anyone know what radio
they're referring too? None of the "emergency" radios I've seen
seem like they are serious performers.

Stinger November 17th 03 10:41 PM

That would just about have to be the Freeplay Summit radio from C. Crane.
It's smaller than the Freeplay Plus, but is digitally tuned and works on
solar or wind-up.

You can see it he
http://www.ccrane.com/freeplay_summi...adio_index.asp

I notice they have a new one called the Freeplay Ranger, too.

-- Stinger

"Sanjaya" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Dentistguy" wrote...

RHF November 17th 03 11:02 PM

FO&A,

The Grundig F200 is made by Tecsun in China
and sold there as the Tecsun Green 88.
http://www.tecsun.com.cn/english/pro...8/green-88.htm
http://www.tecsun.com.cn/product/138/138-2.htm

Tecsun has now updated and released a newer model
of "GREEN" Radio as reported by RadioIntel.Com.
Its is called the Tecsun Green-138.
- - - Will this replace the Grundig RF-200?
http://www.radiointel.com/oldnews.htm
- - - Photo Image of the Tecsun Green-138 (Chinese)
http://www.tecsun.com.cn/product/138/138-1.htm

~ RHF
..
..