Old November 18th 03, 04:31 AM
RedOctober90

Default Strange net on 3266usb?

Hello

I was tuning through the bands and came across a net on 3266usb around
0200z. 11/17/03 (UTC) What I was hearing was a net control and several
rather weak stations in the background. Mostly phonetics and numbers
were spoken, rarely actual words except for when the net control
sounded like he was helping someone troubleshoot a satellite or
something like this. Other words were "Roger" and "standy"

The callsigns were like "Mike Echo Whiskey"... it wasn't a MARS net.
I've on occasion run into similar nets as these were it's all
phonetics and numbers. And apparently this area of the band has been
known to be used by the US Government.

It continued well after 0400z when I tuned out for bed.

Any ideas?

73

Old November 19th 03, 04:08 AM
RedOctober90

Hey N8KDV thanks for the info, it's always handy to know.

But... what exactly is the purpose of this net? The first time I heard
the Navy on HF was during the USS Enterprise Strike group tests a few
months back.

I hear it again tonight, the tactical callsigns and the numbers.

N8KDV wrote in message ...
US Navy

Joe Guthart wrote:

I am now picking up at around S9 in Jacksonville, FL (2316 utc) ...
definitely not amateurs ... strange!

Joe
KG4YJS - Drake R8B

om...

Old November 19th 03, 11:53 AM
N8KDV

RedOctober90 wrote:

Hey N8KDV thanks for the info, it's always handy to know.

But... what exactly is the purpose of this net? The first time I heard
the Navy on HF was during the USS Enterprise Strike group tests a few
months back.

I hear it again tonight, the tactical callsigns and the numbers.

The purpose: training. The Navy can be heard down in that region (and others) conducting
excercises from time to time.

N8KDV wrote in message ...
US Navy

Old November 20th 03, 12:36 AM
N8KDV

I listened on the freq early this morning and nothing was going on, the same this evening,
though at 2250 or so there were a few times when someone keyed up a transmitter as though
testing it a few times (CW), and that was it. So... perhaps the little excersise is over.
They'll be back though. They always are.

RedOctober90 wrote:

Hey N8KDV thanks for the info, it's always handy to know.

But... what exactly is the purpose of this net? The first time I heard
the Navy on HF was during the USS Enterprise Strike group tests a few
months back.

I hear it again tonight, the tactical callsigns and the numbers.

N8KDV wrote in message ...
US Navy

Old November 20th 03, 01:37 AM
N8KDV

Finally at 0134 there was a brief 'Test 123, 321' on the frequency, followed by the station
calling Lima Foxtrot. So, the frequency appears to still be active.

RedOctober90 wrote:

Hey N8KDV thanks for the info, it's always handy to know.

But... what exactly is the purpose of this net? The first time I heard
the Navy on HF was during the USS Enterprise Strike group tests a few
months back.

I hear it again tonight, the tactical callsigns and the numbers.

N8KDV wrote in message ...
US Navy

Old November 22nd 03, 01:27 PM
RedOctober90

I just ran across the same net at 1200z on 6251usb. Lima Foxtrot
calling all the other stations. They keep talking about data transfers
so the net must deal with this. I note they are having trouble
communicating because of the morning propagation changing. According
to what they say, net control is putting out 250 watts.
Old November 22nd 03, 10:50 PM
N8KDV

RedOctober90 wrote:

I just ran across the same net at 1200z on 6251usb. Lima Foxtrot
calling all the other stations. They keep talking about data transfers
so the net must deal with this. I note they are having trouble
communicating because of the morning propagation changing. According
to what they say, net control is putting out 250 watts.

That's great, I figured they were operating on more than one frequency.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old November 23rd 03, 02:12 AM
RedOctober90

N8KDV wrote in message ...
RedOctober90 wrote:

I just ran across the same net at 1200z on 6251usb. Lima Foxtrot
calling all the other stations. They keep talking about data transfers
so the net must deal with this. I note they are having trouble
communicating because of the morning propagation changing. According
to what they say, net control is putting out 250 watts.

That's great, I figured they were operating on more than one frequency.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Seems to be nearly a 24 hour operation, they still are going on that
frequency. They will probably active the other lower frequency around
0300z.
Old November 23rd 03, 10:27 PM
N8KDV

RedOctober90 wrote:

N8KDV wrote in message ...
RedOctober90 wrote:

I just ran across the same net at 1200z on 6251usb. Lima Foxtrot
calling all the other stations. They keep talking about data transfers
so the net must deal with this. I note they are having trouble
communicating because of the morning propagation changing. According
to what they say, net control is putting out 250 watts.

That's great, I figured they were operating on more than one frequency.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Seems to be nearly a 24 hour operation, they still are going on that
frequency. They will probably active the other lower frequency around
0300z.

Sports scores were being inquired about on 6251 at 2225.