Old November 19th 03, 06:50 AM
Cliff at the Shack

Default Radio Mauritania 4845 (I think)

Heard at the Shack on the Bayou in southeast Texas:

4845 kHz AM
0558-0649, November 19, 2003 UTC

Radio Mauritania (presumed, no ID) with a HUGE signal
Arabic or similar language chanting

Totally irrelevant observation:
Pulsing data transmission on nearby frequency sounded like a bass drum in
time with the chanting.
For a while, I thought it was part of the music.

---------------------------
Registered Monitor BR549
The Shack on the Bayou www.ghg.net/cliffwatts/

Drake R8, Sony ICF-SW100, Heathkit GR-64 (retired)
Realistic Pro-2006, Bearcat BC-245XLT

Old November 19th 03, 03:25 PM
Tony Meloche

Cliff at the Shack wrote:

Heard at the Shack on the Bayou in southeast Texas:

4845 kHz AM
0558-0649, November 19, 2003 UTC

Radio Mauritania (presumed, no ID) with a HUGE signal
Arabic or similar language chanting

It could gave been Radio Mauritania, I don't know. I have logged on
that frequency - several times - RTM Kuala Lumpur, which transmits from
Malaysia, and their broadcasts on that frequency are or were in Tamil, a
language similar to Hindi. But I, too, get that station, at that time
on that frequency unusually strongly considering their (listed) 75k
transmitter. I have made positive ID on Kuala Lumpur several times, but
that doesn't mean that's what you heard at that time on that frequency,
of course.

Tony