Old November 22nd 03, 07:19 PM
Llgpt

Default Passport to World Band Radio 2004

Subject: Passport to World Band Radio 2004
From: (Andre)
Date: 11/22/2003 11:35 AM Central Standard Time
"Mike Terry" wrote in message
Passport to World Band Radio is a deservedly popular publication. The 2004
edition, published in October 2003, marks its 20th anniversary. Read our
review of the latest edition.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/booklist/html/passport.html

Regular users of Passport are familiar with the publication's
editorial scope and rationale, but we would like to see a brief
mention of the alternatives to "World Band" when such options exist.

Larry Magne should think of another alternative and acceptable words
other than "World Band" to all the shortwave aficionados around the
world. The word "World Band" is only used for commercial
advertisements that describes a radio that has the capability to
receive foreign broadcasts in shortwave medium.

Andre

Hey Andre,

Hit the road, you go through this speil every year about this time. If you
don't like the book, don't read it. We don't need to hear your fractured
english opinion of what you don't like.

Les

Old November 23rd 03, 02:06 AM
Andre

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
Passport to World Band Radio is a deservedly popular publication. The 2004
edition, published in October 2003, marks its 20th anniversary. Read our
review of the latest edition.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/booklist/html/passport.html

Regular users of Passport are familiar with the publication's
editorial scope and rationale, but we would like to see a brief
mention of the alternatives to "World Band" when such options exist.

Larry Magne should think of another alternative and acceptable words
other than "World Band" to all the shortwave aficionados around the
world. The word "World Band" is only used for commercial
advertisements that describes a radio that has the capability to
receive foreign broadcasts in shortwave medium.

The marketing people at Sony came up with the term World Band as a
"sexier" alternative to shortwave, but the technology stayed the same.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/features/html/cr031106.html

Andre
Old November 23rd 03, 05:37 PM
RadioGuy

Andre wrote in message
om...
"Mike Terry" wrote in message
[...]

What do you suggest? World Band Radio seem appropriate; perhaps
International Broadcast or International Broadcast Bands sound better?

Sony coined "Whole Earth Radio" then "World Band Receiver" I don't know of
any other variants. The earliest advert for Whote Earth Radio that I have
seen is the one that appeared in National Geographic, September 1980, Vol.
158, No. 3 introducing the revolutionary Sony 2001 the one that started them
all (not Sony 2001D/2010) . That ad and the ones that followed it in NG
seemed to have taken the place (if not the exact page) of the everpresent
Zenith TransOceanic ads.

RG