Old November 23rd 03, 09:04 PM
Ken Maltz

Default lead-in cable through roof

I need to run several coax cables through my asphalt shingle, peaked roof.
Needless to say, I'd like to do this in a way that would be weatherproof and
neat. Perhaps someone on the list has done this successfully and can offer some
suggestions?

Thanks in advance-
Ken Maltz
Jericho, NY
NRD-535D, NRD-220 Collins R-388, Racal RA6790/GM,
ICOM R71A, ICOM R-7100(x2), AOR AR-8000
Panasonic RF-2200, Sony ICF-7600GR,
Hoka Code3 Gold-Pro, 60' long wire, MLB balun
Old November 24th 03, 12:43 AM
Tony Meloche

Ken Maltz wrote:

I need to run several coax cables through my asphalt shingle, peaked roof.
Needless to say, I'd like to do this in a way that would be weatherproof and
neat. Perhaps someone on the list has done this successfully and can offer some
suggestions?

Thanks in advance-
Ken Maltz
Jericho, NY

Hello, Ken.

Well, suggestions is all these should be taken as - the ultimate choice
on how to do it is yours, of course.

I would not come through the roof deck at all - it is certainly possible
to do this in such a way that it is weatherproof, but it is very
difficult and chancy.
If there is any way you can run to the edge of the roof and come in
sideways, so much the better. Perhaps through a peak vent, or even a
drilled hole - "through the wall" plastic conduits are sold at places
like RS.

If you decide to do it this way, the wire should make a loop below the
hole, and the end should feed back *up* to the hole - in effect, the
cable makes a letter "U" right below the hole like this:

| _ ___ into house-
| |
|__|

This acts as a drip loop. Notwithstanding that, though, the actual
entrance hole or conduit should be tightly caulked, too. Once the lead
in or coax is "under the roof" indoors, there are many ways to get it
where you are going, but weather ceases to be a factor.

And I end as I began: There are safe, effective, weatherproof ways of
going directly through your shingles and roof deck to do this - but if
it's a do-it-yourself project, I recommend you avoid all of them. My
02¢.

Tony

Old November 24th 03, 02:06 AM
J999w

I helped a friend put some coax cables through a shingled roof a few years ago.
I think he used a pvc vent pipe and then put a "U" at the top with the above
mentioned drip loop in the cable. Worked great, still does. Poke around your
local "Mega Lo Mart".

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee
Old November 24th 03, 03:53 AM
WShoots1

If it's a gabled roof, run them through a vent on an end. If it's a hip roof,
run them through avent on the underside of the eaves.

So that they don't whip around in the wind, tack them down in spots with canned
tar or with asphalt roof dressing (which will harden).

73,
Bill, K5BY