Old November 28th 03, 01:42 AM
Doctor Artaud

Default Senator "Daff a sit" Sasser

You had to be there.

CNN interviewed the U.S. Ambassador to China, James Sasser, a former
Democratic senator. Of the trade imbalance, in no uncertain terms, Mr.
Sasser blatantly asserted that it makes good sense for American companies
to relocate their manufacturing to China, as this will greatly increase
their profits. (Notice that it doesn't translate into lower prices for
the consumer). He also went on to say that it's too bad for Americans
that the jobs are going to China, but what the heck, the Chinese are
certainly benefiting from it, as it is raising their standard of living.
He was actually arrogant about it, disregarding the host's questions
about the negative impact that unfair trade will have on the American
Economy.

This man, supposedly once a Democratic Senator, with no regards for the
jobs and livelihoods of fellow Americans, with a shameless plug for
increasing the trade deficit with China.

This is worth the watch. I saw it tonight, but I can't recall the host of
the show. I visited CNN.com, but was unable to find a comprehensive
listing of hosts, shows, and content.

I would imagine that this material repeats, this is a "must watch".

P.S., Sasser is the senator that is known for his decimation of the word
"deficit", saying instead something more akin to a drawn out "Daff a
sit".

Dr. Artaud

--
To know and to be, this is not even a question, there is no alternative.
You see it clearly in the loneliest little avenues between particles and
Old November 28th 03, 02:28 AM
Stinger

More often than not, you will find ambassadors and other mid-level State
Department bureaucrats tend to view themselves as ombudsmen for the
interests of governments other than the one they are hired to represent.

-- Stinger

Old November 28th 03, 03:32 AM
Diverd4777

In article , Doctor Artaud
writes:

He also went on to say that it's too bad for Americans
that the jobs are going to China, but what the heck, the Chinese are
certainly benefiting from it

The day they outsource HIS Job overseas as a cost saving measure is the
day we should all wait for with baited breath..

Too bad for him,
but what the heck, It'll help his( ex ) constituents get better
representation
within their own country . .

Old November 28th 03, 09:17 AM
Sanjaya

"Doctor Artaud" wrote...
You had to be there.

CNN interviewed the U.S. Ambassador to China, James Sasser, a former
Democratic senator. Of the trade imbalance, in no uncertain terms, Mr.
Sasser blatantly asserted that it makes good sense for American companies
to relocate their manufacturing to China, as this will greatly increase
their profits.

[snip]

Isn't that the whole point of Capitalism... to maximize profits?

Old November 28th 03, 11:04 AM
Eric F. Richards

Doctor Artaud wrote:

You had to be there.

CNN interviewed the U.S. Ambassador to China, James Sasser, a former
Democratic senator. Of the trade imbalance, in no uncertain terms, Mr.
Sasser blatantly asserted that it makes good sense for American companies
to relocate their manufacturing to China, as this will greatly increase
their profits.

I saw that. His response, literally to the question of lost jobs was,
"That's the way the cookie crumbles." Nice empathy there.

--
Eric F. Richards

"The weird part is that I can feel productive even when I'm doomed."
- Dilbert

Old November 28th 03, 01:38 PM
Diverd4777

I saw that. His response, literally to the question of lost jobs was,
"That's the way the cookie crumbles." Nice empathy there.

In the early days of the Industrial age, they used to chain children to factory
equipment. Starvation was common ;
Luckily we've progressed beyond that
( Here at least)

It's a bit demoralizing to see jobs advertized for

" Programmer Analyst; Must relocat to India"
in the local papers.

- Waiting for the day they Outsource The White House Staff to somewheres
overseas as a cost saving mechanism..

Dan

Old November 28th 03, 01:46 PM
Doctor Artaud

"Sanjaya" wrote in
link.net:

I don't believe that companies that owe their initial existence and
success to a particular country should become so blind to their profits
that they ignore the citizen's futures in said country.

Of Henry Ford, an excerpt from a sited article:

"Ford was called "a traitor to his class" by other industrialists and
professionals, but he held firm in believing that well-paid workers
would put up with dull work, be loyal, and buy his cars."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/databank...es/dt13as.html

American companies are becoming financial whores. They are allowing the
people, whose patronage helped create the companies, to suffer and
perish, all for the bottom line $$$$$.

If Nike makes shoes in this country, say at a cost of $15 per shoe, then
transfers their operation to China, and makes them at a cost of $2 per
shoe, notice that they never lower the price of the shoes. $100 for
shoes made in China should be a crime.

Enter Michael Moore, a man that I deplore (the rhyme is unintentional).
I saw a show he did about Nike shoes, very interesting.

http://www.dogeatdogfilms.com/mikenike.html

"I think Nike's CEO Phil Knight regrets he said the things he said when
I interviewed him last year at his Portland headquarters. However,
instead of apologizing to American workers for saying 'Americans don't
want to make shoes'; instead of apologizing to the children of Indonesia
for saying he saw nothing wrong with 14-year-olds working in his
factories; instead of apologizing to the Indonesian people for insulting
them by calling them 'the poor little Indonesian workers'; instead of
apologizing to his shareholders for admitting on camera he had never
once stepped inside his Indonesian factories, Knight has chosen to
create a red herring and lash out at a person who simply turned on the
camera when Phil began to speak."

As an earlier post in this thread said, (another damn rhyme), why don't
we outsource the corporate and political positions? I'm sure that as
with Nike, we could find trustworthy people (hell, big salaries in this
country haven't gotten us trustworthy people anyway) to run the
companies at a significant savings to the company and would be
beneficial to the stockholders.

But noooo, they corporate honchos believe that "they alone" account for
the profits of the company, even if it involves laying off 2000 people
at Christmas, and after accomplishing such dastardly deeds, they are
given a $3,500,000 bonus from the company for their accomplishments.
Although the $3.5 Million would not pay the 2000 salaries very long (1-2
Months?), it's insulting to reward the CEO for terminating the jobs.

I think the real problem is a lack of Scrooge type ghosts to make these
*******s see the harm they are doing to their fellow Americans. (I
believe that any company should be loyal to its country of origin, not
just American companies).

I do wish that Americans would become more proactive. I have, quite
often, paid more for an item because it's Made in America. In some
instances, such as electrical items, you may more properly assure that
your family will live to see tomorrow if you buy American. I have seen
several items that have been made in China, and that plug into 110VAC,
just burn up over time. I don't believe that they have the same
accountability as American manufacturers do.

Dr. Artaud

Isn't that the whole point of Capitalism... to maximize profits?

Old November 28th 03, 02:46 PM
RHF

"Sanjaya" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Doctor Artaud" wrote...
You had to be there.

CNN interviewed the U.S. Ambassador to China, James Sasser, a former
Democratic senator. Of the trade imbalance, in no uncertain terms, Mr.
Sasser blatantly asserted that it makes good sense for American companies
to relocate their manufacturing to China, as this will greatly increase
their profits.

[snip]

Isn't that the whole point of Capitalism... to maximize profits?

Sanjaya,

The 'business' of Business... Is to Stay in BUSINESS !
- - - a la General BullMoose )

http://www.deniskitchen.com/thestore...bullmoose.html

http://www.lil-abner.com/bullmoosealb.html

http://www.al-capp-lil-abner.com/

tbob... ~ RHF
The 'business' of Business... Is to Stay in BUSINESS !

..

..
Old November 28th 03, 03:41 PM
Diverd4777

Outsourcing The Corporate CEO & his high paid Staff sounds like a great idea.

In that way, they could employ more people in this country, avoiding the
continuous corporate layoffs

- which we all have Yet to pay the full price for . . .

If you fire someone making $60,000, and he finally gets a job for $20,000

- where does the money come from to pay for schools, road repairs, hospitals,
police and Firemen where he lives..?

How can said person pay his Mortgage?

How can said person consume & spend , the thing that keeps our economy
afloat..?

& eventualy buy the products from the Company that Laid him off ??

- No one in Corporate America ever thought that one through . . .

Old November 28th 03, 08:28 PM
LW

Doctor Artaud wrote ...

Mr.
Sasser blatantly asserted that it makes good sense for American companies
to relocate their manufacturing to China, as this will greatly increase
their profits.

Sounds like something you'd hear from one of those greedy republicans.
Look at all those years "us little people" thought the kommie-krats
*really* cared about us. Now the truth comes out. Woe is us. :-(