Old November 29th 03, 05:12 PM
J999w

Default 720khz WGN off air TONIGHT.

I don't have the original message anymore, but WGN 720khz Chicago is scheduled
for mainenance TONIGHT, yes THIS day, not next week or the week after. Time off
is 1am. That's 1am CST Sunday 11/30, or 0700z 11/30.

Set your tape recorders.

jw
wb9uai
(I'm usually up anyway)
Old November 29th 03, 05:17 PM
N8KDV

J999w wrote:

I don't have the original message anymore, but WGN 720khz Chicago is scheduled
for mainenance TONIGHT, yes THIS day, not next week or the week after. Time off
is 1am. That's 1am CST Sunday 11/30, or 0700z 11/30.

Set your tape recorders.

jw
wb9uai
(I'm usually up anyway)

Yes indeed. This from DXLD 3-209:

** U S A. NRC member Pete Dernbach of St. Louis Missouri sent an e-
mail to WGN's Director of Engineering to ask about the WGN silent
period. Below is the e-mail and the WGN reply verbatim (as posted on
the NRC list). 73 Niel Wolfish
------------------
"I sent an email to Jim Carollo, Director of Engineering at WGN,
about the silent period and this is the very quick reply he sent me.
======================
It will be Sunday morning, November 30, 1:05 AM until 5. However,
between 1:05 and 3 I may have a carrier on with test tone. The
carrier is most likely to be off from 3 until 4:30 AM [0900-1030 UT].
That's your best chance. Jim
=======================
I then sent an email to the engineer at KOTZ, Alaska to see if they
could do a DX test during the silent period. If I recall correctly
they did a test about a year ago. I'm waiting on a reply.
Pete Dernbach, St. Louis, Mo" (all via Niel Wolfish, ODXA via DXLD)

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old November 29th 03, 06:56 PM
elg110254

East Coasters within WGN's signal pattern should listen for Las Vegas' KDWN,
which has an in-house over-night talk show ! Several years back, when KDWN went
off the air Monday mornings for transmitter realignment, heard WGN's signal
slip through. They were celebrating their Bears winning the last N.F.C. Central
crown!
Old November 29th 03, 08:12 PM
J999w

Well, let's see. I have 3 receivers I can run tonight. I'll put the Kenwood
R1000 on a 3' box loop with a cassette tape recorder, the Palstar R-30 on the
big vertical, and the Icom R71a on the west EWE perhaps phasing that against a
small wire. I'll record with the computer on the last two receivers in stereo
mode. That outta cover it in case I fall asleep !

I find it virtually impossible to phase WGN from here, some 90 miles north of
them, so this is a good oportunity for DX.

jw
wb9uai
Milwaukee

Old November 29th 03, 09:13 PM
Mr TSP 91

I have in my logbook a silent period for WGN on March 11, 1990. During that SP
I logged KDWN, Las Vegas battling it out with CHTN Charlottetown PEI. I never
did get a QSL from KDWN but CHTN sent a nice letter, stickers, and other
goodies.
This log was from South Bend, IN.