RadioBanter

-   -   SX-88 on Ebay (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39381-sx-88-ebay.html)

LW December 3rd 03 07:18 PM

SX-88 on Ebay

Just when we thought they were all gone .. here's the perfect gift for
the SWL on your shopping list.

Howard N. Lute December 3rd 03 08:19 PM

On 3 Dec 2003 11:18:58 -0800, (LW) wrote:

Just when we thought they were all gone .. here's the perfect gift for
the SWL on your shopping list.

Wow, what a beauty!
Retired Teacher, Terrible Mechanic, Worse Plumber!
LPFM Page: http://home.att.net/~optcamel/fmradio.htm

N8KDV December 3rd 03 10:24 PM

LW wrote:

Just when we thought they were all gone .. here's the perfect gift for
the SWL on your shopping list.

I think I bid on it around the $3000 level, I can't remember! Alas, it's
not to be. But it's a nice receiver, and well maintained is surely to
increase in value.

If I recall correctly, Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, bid on one and it went for a
very high price.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

starman December 4th 03 07:22 AM

LW wrote:

Just when we thought they were all gone .. here's the perfect gift for
the SWL on your shopping list.

They made about '500' of them. There are about '76' known to exist. The
question is what happened to more than '400'? I can't believe all of
those are really gone. If had one, I probably wouldn't advertise it
either.

The pictures of the one on Ebay show that it still has the original
paper capacitors, such as the 'Tiny Chiefs' and 'Black Beauties'. Since
these caps' are notoriously leaky, should an owner take a chance on
running a very valuable radio like the '88' and possibly damaging an
irreplacable part such as an I.F. transformer? OTOH, would it lessen the
value of the radio if it was recapped to make it safer to run?

BTW- The SX-88 cost about $3800 in today's dollars when it sold for $600
in 1955. Joe Walsh (The Eagles) payed $10,000 for his. I guess he wanted
it real bad. I wonder what he did with it?

LW December 4th 03 04:47 PM

N8KDV wrote ...
If I recall correctly, Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, bid on one and it went for a
very high price.

Yep, if I recall that one went over $7500.00. There was a bidding war
in the closing minutes of the auction. Joe lost but it was close.

May Santa bring one to all the SWL's who've been good this past year.
( It's free to wish, ain't it ? )

N8KDV December 4th 03 05:12 PM

LW wrote:

N8KDV wrote ...
If I recall correctly, Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, bid on one and it went for a
very high price.

Yep, if I recall that one went over $7500.00. There was a bidding war
in the closing minutes of the auction. Joe lost but it was close.

He did win one, and it went for $10,000. I just looked it up on Google.

N8KDV December 4th 03 05:20 PM

starman wrote:

LW wrote:

[...]

I believe he has at least 7 operating positions in his home. He gets into
old radios, and CW. I sold him some FT-243 crystals a few years back. He
sent me a personalized autographed copy of "Hell Freezes Over" a picture and
some personal guitar pics.

He's a nice guy, talked to him on the phone once too.

JJ December 4th 03 08:27 PM

starman wrote:

BTW- The SX-88 cost about $3800 in today's dollars when it sold for $600
in 1955. Joe Walsh (The Eagles) payed $10,000 for his. I guess he wanted
it real bad. I wonder what he did with it?

Pulled all the tubes to make a guitar amp and trashed the rest?

tommyknocker December 4th 03 10:58 PM

starman wrote:

LW wrote:

Just when we thought they were all gone .. here's the perfect gift for
the SWL on your shopping list.

They made about '500' of them. There are about '76' known to exist. The
question is what happened to more than '400'? I can't believe all of
those are really gone. If had one, I probably wouldn't advertise it
either.

I once saw a website that said that about 2% of the total production of
tube gear made in the US or UK has survived. The site was devoted to
prewar TVs from both US and UK and it noted that only a couple hundred
prewar TVs from either country are known to exist today, and that given
total production (I don't remember exact numbers) that those numbers are
about 2% of total production, just like the formula says. It went on to
say that an undiscovered prewar TV would be of comparable rarity to an
undiscovered original Stradivarius (sp?) violin. I would suspect that
the same is true of the SX88.

Frank Dresser December 5th 03 12:31 AM

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

I once saw a website that said that about 2% of the total production

of
tube gear made in the US or UK has survived. The site was devoted to
prewar TVs from both US and UK and it noted that only a couple hundred
prewar TVs from either country are known to exist today, and that

given
total production (I don't remember exact numbers) that those numbers

are
about 2% of total production, just like the formula says.

What ever the total figure is, I'm sure it's mostly made up of low end
products. The high end stuff like SX-88s are far more likely to be kept
around.

It went on to
say that an undiscovered prewar TV would be of comparable rarity to an
undiscovered original Stradivarius (sp?) violin. I would suspect that
the same is true of the SX88.

Stradivarius should have come to Chicago and talked with Bill Halligan.
Bill's factory at Fifth and Kostner would have turned out millions of
beginner violins, concert quality violins, mil-spec cellos, anything
people would pay for.

I would suspect most of the SX-88 owners don't want themselves or their
radios on the lists.

Frank Dresser