Old December 11th 03, 06:04 AM
Altawaowr

Default kaito KA1102 pros and cons

pros

rechargeable batteries are cool
solid build and feel
compact
cheap

cons

ok audio
ok fm
not very good am
not very good on shortwave
SSB doesn't work very well
not very sensitive
noisy sounding shortwave
mediochre audio
minimum volume too high
keypad takes a long time to learn
how do i turn off the alarm?

overall

disappointing after the wrx911
Old December 12th 03, 03:14 AM
Michael

I have one too. I like it for the most part. I find that it has very good
sensitivity as a shortwave radio and decent audio. It's SSB is useless for
ECSS tuning, but it works just fine to decode ham and other ssb. It's got
lots of other neet features too. I love the internal battery charger and
the blue back light. It's great that it comes with an ac adapter,
rechargeable batteries and a nice set of ear buds. I think it sounds great
as an FM radio with the ear buds too. Once I got used to it's "page
system", I actually liked it quite a bit.

I find its problems to be as follows:

I don't think it's very selective. Even with the narrow filter setting,
I've experienced intermod problems that I don't get with my YB-400. I have
found that it's smaller counterpart, the KA1101 is more selective.

It also has a few quirky bugs. If you power off the radio in "page 9" mode
in AM, the next time you turn the radio back on, it will turn on in SSB mode
and not AM as it was when it was shut down. You'll get a nice lound SQUEAL
!!!!!

To add to that, when you power it up, it will power up at full volume
regardless of where the volume was when it was shut down. When you try to
lower the volume all the way, you will still hear audio. In order to get
around this problem with the volume, you can press the power button on and
off and back on again very fast and it will set the volume back to where you
had it when you last powered the radio down.

It has been suggested that both of those problems are firmware bugs. I'm
sure it will be easy for them to correct those problems in future models. I
just cant believe they didn't catch it before they went to production.

Once they get that out of the way, it will be a great little radio.

Again, my biggest beef is with the selectivity.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

Old December 14th 03, 01:22 AM
Bob

Hi Michael:
Now that you have had the ll02 for three weeks and the 1101 for
about twice as long which one do you grab when you want to see what is
on the bands? Is one of these becoming the one you use most often?
Regards,
Bob
Old December 14th 03, 03:35 AM
Michael

I have been using the 1101 more often. I have it at work and I listen to MW
news and talk all day. I can also get the BBC on it at work. I have the
1102 at home and I hardly use it. I use my R-75 for listening to just about
everything at home. I purchaced the 1102 to use as a travel radio, not to
mention, I was just interested in trying it. What I have been doing mostly
with the 1102 is trying to see how sensitive it is by finding a weak signal
on my R-75 and then trying to get the 1102 to pick it up. The external wire
antenna seems to be a must for picking up weak stuff on the 1102. I've also
been testing it out on SSB. Right now, I'm listening to hams and it's doing
very well.

I like the features better on the 1102 compaired to the 1101 especially it's
ssb. BUT, I think the 1101 is a better radio for it's price. It dosent
have the bugs that the 1102 has and I really think that the 1101 is more
selective. I't dosen't have the intermod problems that the 1102 seems to
have.

--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

om...