RadioBanter

-   -   GE Superadio III earphone difficulty - and what is OHM rating (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39557-ge-superadio-iii-earphone-difficulty-what-ohm-rating.html)

WShoots1 December 15th 03 03:51 AM

I had the same thing when I first bought mine, seems kind of a strange way
to design a mono radio.

I suspect only stereo chips are made these days.

Split audio can be useful, though, by monitoring one side with phones and
feeding the other side to a computer or recorder.

Bill, K5BY

Sherrill Martin December 15th 03 04:00 AM

Mine is Model 7-2887A. Guess that makes it a Superadio IIIA. ;}

Tony Meloche wrote:

N8KDV wrote:

As I recall the Superadio I just says Superadio on the front, the II and III are
indicated on the front of the later models.

Mine is a Superadio III, and is listed as "Model 7-2887". Hope that
helps.

Tony

Sherrill Martin wrote:

How do you tell if a Superadio is I, II, or III?

Thanks,

Sherrill

elfa wrote:

In article , Rhavedx says...

The GE Superadio III requires a stereo headset. I had the same thing when I
first bought mine, seems kind of a strange way to design a mono radio. Good
luck and enjoy.

Ron

My Superadio II needs stereo....won't work with mono so it seems the idea
started before the Super III.

elfa

Brenda Ann December 15th 03 06:57 AM

"WShoots1" wrote in message
I had the same thing when I first bought mine, seems kind of a strange

way
to design a mono radio.

I suspect only stereo chips are made these days.

Split audio can be useful, though, by monitoring one side with phones and
feeding the other side to a computer or recorder.

Bill, K5BY

It's only a mono chip in there. The two sides of the jack are simply
connected together. They do this because most people have or buy stereo
headphones, whereas mono headphones or earphones are rarely ever seen
anymore.

RHF December 15th 03 07:48 AM

Ronald,

For any other GE Superadio Questions or to Find Answers:

Here are two YAHOO eGroups that 'focus' on the GE Superadios.

* GE Superadio Group For Connoisseurs
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/longrange/
= = = About 75 Members and over 325 Messages.

G.E. Superadio III
GoTo= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SuperadioIII/
= = = About 200 Members and over 450 Messages

Getting Over the Past and Moving Into the Future . . .

The the Next Generation of "SUPER RADIO" of the New Millemmium
is the Grundig S350 Broadcast Listener's Radio.

Check-It-Out at the Grundig S350 Radio eGroup at YAHOO !

= = = About 360 Members and over 1700 Messages

The Grundig S350 Super Radio is what everyone was 'wishing'
the GE Superadio 'IV' was going to be: But Much Better !
+ Analogy Tuning
+ Digital Frequency Display
+ High Sensitivity for AM/MW Band
+ Wide & Narrow IF Filters
+ RF Gain Control
+ LPF Low Pass Filter 30MHz
+ Shortwave Bands for International Broadcasters
+ FM Stereo via Line Outputs
+ Clock, Alarm and Timers

yilgr ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Ronald)
= = = =wrote in message . com...
My Radio Shack mono earphone with 1/8" plug does not work unless it's
backed halfway out of the headphone hole. This is not satisfactory
because the slightest movement of the cable disconnects the sound.
I want to purchase a high quality Telex or Byerdynamics mono earphone
but need the ohm rating of the GE Superadio III speaker. Any other
suggestions for radio listening pleasure as one falls off to sleep ?
Could not be happier with the AM sensitivity and excellent sound.
I would prefer a small programmable AM/FM digital radio with equal AM
sensitivity but do not know what to buy.

grumpus December 15th 03 07:31 PM

Hi, Superadio I's and II's are silver, black, and chrome, and are more
severely rectilinear in shape. III's are black with chrome accents
and have a more rounded body. To distinguish between models I and II,
look through the front grill. The II has a tweeter which the I does
not. There was also a Superadio II which was brown and silver in
color, not black and silver. Not to mention a host of spin-offs...the
fabled Digital Superadio, Superadio With Cassette, various Superadio
Boomboxes, and a model called the "Performer" which was a pared down
Superadio (C Cells instead of D) which lived up to its billing.

Regards,

Grumpus

KEN8038 December 16th 03 01:03 AM

and a model called the "Performer" which was a pared down
Superadio (C Cells instead of D) which lived up to its billing.

Hmmm. I've had an SR 2 since about 1991, but I never heard of the Performer.
I'm interested ( I also have an old GE P780 which is my best MW DX radio of the
many radios I have). I just did a google and Ebay search but nothing turned up.
Can anyone elaborate on the Performer or direct me to a picture or a writeup.
Thanks.
--Ken

Brenda Ann December 16th 03 01:29 AM

"KEN8038" wrote in message
and a model called the "Performer" which was a pared down
Superadio (C Cells instead of D) which lived up to its billing.

Hmmm. I've had an SR 2 since about 1991, but I never heard of the

Performer.
I'm interested ( I also have an old GE P780 which is my best MW DX radio

of the
many radios I have). I just did a google and Ebay search but nothing

turned up.
Can anyone elaborate on the Performer or direct me to a picture or a

writeup.
Thanks.
--Ken

A lot of people called anything in a sub-boombox case made by GE a
"Superadio". The Performer series (there were several models) does not come
close to the Superadio class. Most had a larger than average speaker and a
longer than average loopstick, but did not have the tuned RF stage that the
Superadios have. Not many GE radios between the P780 and the Superadios did
have a tuned RF stage. I can't speak for their World Monitors, as I've never
had one of those to play with, but their AM only and AM/FM radios were
basic, no more than a pocket radio with a big antenna and speaker (and some
were downright BAD)

Brenda Ann December 16th 03 01:41 AM

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"KEN8038" wrote in message
[...]

BTW, I have a couple P-780's I could let go. Both play well, one needs the
dial string restrung (hamfisted Brenda with a soldering iron). Make me a
reasonable offer on one or both.

Stephen M.H. Lawrence December 16th 03 02:54 AM

Superradio 1 has volume and tuning sliders on the right - hand edge
of the radio, and is much smaller than II and III models.

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

"N8KDV" wrote in message
| As I recall the Superadio I just says Superadio on the front, the II and
III are
| indicated on the front of the later models.
|

| Sherrill Martin wrote:
|
| How do you tell if a Superadio is I, II, or III?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Sherrill
|
| elfa wrote:
|
| In article , Rhavedx
says...

| The GE Superadio III requires a stereo headset. I had the same thing
when I
| first bought mine, seems kind of a strange way to design a mono radio.
Good
| luck and enjoy.
|
| Ron
|

| My Superadio II needs stereo....won't work with mono so it seems the
idea
| started before the Super III.
|
| elfa

---

starman December 16th 03 05:09 AM

Brenda Ann wrote:

"KEN8038" wrote in message
[...]

One of the GE 'World Monitors' (circa mid' 80's) was a clone of the
Panasonic RF-2900. It had full shortwave coverage along with AM (MW) and
FM. It was one of the better portables for it's time, although rather
large.