Old December 13th 03, 10:45 PM
Ronald

Default GE Superadio III earphone difficulty - and what is OHM rating

My Radio Shack mono earphone with 1/8" plug does not work unless it's
backed halfway out of the headphone hole. This is not satisfactory
because the slightest movement of the cable disconnects the sound.
I want to purchase a high quality Telex or Byerdynamics mono earphone
but need the ohm rating of the GE Superadio III speaker. Any other
suggestions for radio listening pleasure as one falls off to sleep ?
Could not be happier with the AM sensitivity and excellent sound.
I would prefer a small programmable AM/FM digital radio with equal AM
sensitivity but do not know what to buy.
Old December 13th 03, 11:33 PM
Brenda Ann

"Ronald" wrote in message
om...
My Radio Shack mono earphone with 1/8" plug does not work unless it's
backed halfway out of the headphone hole. This is not satisfactory
because the slightest movement of the cable disconnects the sound.
I want to purchase a high quality Telex or Byerdynamics mono earphone
but need the ohm rating of the GE Superadio III speaker. Any other
suggestions for radio listening pleasure as one falls off to sleep ?
Could not be happier with the AM sensitivity and excellent sound.
I would prefer a small programmable AM/FM digital radio with equal AM
sensitivity but do not know what to buy.

Your mono earphone does not work in the Superadio III because the headphone
jack (not the output itself) is stereo. This means it is set up to be used
with stereo headphones. When you plug a mono earphone all the way in, it
shorts out one channel of the stereo jack. Since the two channels are
connected directly together inside the radio, this also shorts out the other
channel, ergo, no sound.

The speaker system inside the Superadio III is a nominal 8 to 10 ohms
(though this doesn't matter for headphones, since there is a dropping
resistor in the headphone line which raises the effective impedence to the
headphones).

Old December 14th 03, 01:20 AM
CW

It's a stereo jack. The "ohm rating" as you put it makes no difference in
this application.

om...

Old December 14th 03, 03:41 AM
Ronald

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message ...
"Ronald" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thank you for your detailed and prompt response. Radio Shack had a
stereo to mono headphone adapter that solved the problem. Now I will
locate a Telex dealer near me (Malibu, CA) and test various Telethin
receivers from 15 ohms to 500 ohms.
Old December 14th 03, 05:11 AM
WShoots1

If you have an 1/8" mono plug and an 1/8" stereo jack, then you need an
adapter, such as R.S. 274-374.

I would have bought stereo phones, which, with (a) suitable adapter(s) would
work at max on anything.

73,
Bill, K5BY

Old December 14th 03, 12:46 PM
Rhavedx

The GE Superadio III requires a stereo headset. I had the same thing when I
first bought mine, seems kind of a strange way to design a mono radio. Good
luck and enjoy.

Ron
Old December 14th 03, 11:42 PM
elfa

In article , Rhavedx says...

The GE Superadio III requires a stereo headset. I had the same thing when I
first bought mine, seems kind of a strange way to design a mono radio. Good
luck and enjoy.

Ron

My Superadio II needs stereo....won't work with mono so it seems the idea
started before the Super III.

elfa

Old December 15th 03, 01:51 AM
Sherrill Martin

How do you tell if a Superadio is I, II, or III?

Thanks,

Sherrill

In article , Rhavedx says...

Old December 15th 03, 02:01 AM
N8KDV

As I recall the Superadio I just says Superadio on the front, the II and III are
indicated on the front of the later models.

Sherrill Martin wrote:

How do you tell if a Superadio is I, II, or III?

Thanks,

Sherrill

In article , Rhavedx says...

Old December 15th 03, 03:08 AM
Tony Meloche

N8KDV wrote:

As I recall the Superadio I just says Superadio on the front, the II and III are
indicated on the front of the later models.

Mine is a Superadio III, and is listed as "Model 7-2887". Hope that
helps.

Tony

Sherrill Martin wrote:

How do you tell if a Superadio is I, II, or III?

Thanks,

Sherrill

In article , Rhavedx says...