Old December 22nd 03, 02:58 AM
R Vijay

On 19 Dec 2003 04:32:14 -0800
(Vijay) wrote:

Great Answer to my Question online at:

http://www.speedline.ca/grundig/

Also, lots of SW Radio's on ebay under $20 and some even around
$10 !!! However, they are not in Canada.

Vijay

Old December 22nd 03, 03:25 AM
R Vijay

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:04:31 GMT
"David Eduardo" wrote:

SW radios are at nearly every electronics and gadget store.
Frys in the West has many; Sharper Image, Hammacher-Schlemmer,
etc., have them, too. Have even seen the multi-band one at Bed,
Bath and Beyond in an emergency-preparedness all-band, crank to
power radio.

I truly can't believe this at all !!! Do so many people still buy
and listen to them ? I have not known any friend who has a SW
Radio in North America.

Vijay
Old December 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
Frank White

In article ,
says...

On 19 Dec 2003 04:32:14 -0800
(Vijay) wrote:

Hi everyone:

Newbie to this group. I have listened to several short wave
Radio Stations and used to be a DXer in India almost 15 years
ago. (one of my favorites wsas Radio Netherlands, Jonathan
Marks). Had collected

I am seeing a lot of North Americans here and am very surprised.
There are so many other activites to do these days here. Regular
radio, TV, DVDs, Movies, other hobbies, collectibles etc., etc.,
Why shortwave ? What motivates a North American to listen to
Shortwave and participate so much in detail here on the Usenet ?

What is the average profile of the SW listener in North America ?
Is this person someone who can't afford a PC, has a lot of
free time, lives in a fairly remote region etc., ? I feel this
way as jobs, chores and other activities fill ones life.

I was deep into SW in India. Reasons being no Internet access,
curious to know about the World, Great Clean Hobby, Once you had
the Radio there was no other recurring investment etc., After
comming to North America, getting poor signals with a bad
receiver, I got discouraged and gave up as otehr activities took
over my life. So curious.

Vijay

Curiosity is precisely the point. We - or at least, I - want
to find out more about other people and cultures, what THEY
feel is important, what their opinions are. You can also
hear music, stories, and discussions that would never make it
onto mainline media in the U.S. And - for those of us
dubious about what our government and news media are telling
us - shortwave provides a second source of information about
what's going on in the world...

FW

Old December 22nd 03, 04:52 AM
starman

R Vijay wrote:

Also I would like an answer to this question.
Someone mentioned that while watching too much TV decreases IQ,
Radio listening is actually shown to increase IQ. Is there any
concrete evidence/sites/publishings in this regard ?

If it were true, it might be because the more intelligent people
*choose* to listen to radio instead of television. The radio doesn't
make them smarter. They find radio more interesting because of their
intelligence.

Old December 22nd 03, 05:28 AM
R Vijay

On 22 Dec 2003 01:59:03 GMT
Fred Garvin wrote:

AMEN TO THAT!

Glad you agree. On TV, in one hour, there are sometimes even as
much as 8 interrupts for ads. Almost half about cars !!

On SW, in those days (late 1980's) it was a pleasure to
listen to commercials as they were so rare.

I have listened to some very rare Gems such as Radio Mangolia or
Radio Ulan Bator, Radio Pyong Yang etc., etc., Clandestine
broadcasts were not that many.

However, as TV was still expensive and SW Radio within common
reach, almost a huge majority of the Indian Population in cities
had and listened to SW Radio.

Vijay

I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
Newbie question: shortwave coils and modification of an am radio Lungshot1 Shortwave 1 July 18th 03 08:17 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM