Old December 23rd 03, 04:00 AM
Mark M

Default U.S. AM broadcast reception in Britian

I'd like to know if is is possible to receive
U.S. east coast AM broadcasters from the British Isles
with any reliability???....Thanks
Old December 23rd 03, 09:31 AM
starman

Mark M wrote:

I'd like to know if is is possible to receive
U.S. east coast AM broadcasters from the British Isles
with any reliability???....Thanks

The key word is "reliability". You can certainly hear certain US east
coast AM stations in the UK when propagation conditions are favorable
but not on a regular basis. However this happens to be the season
(winter) when you're most likely to hear them so give it a try. It
requires a good antenna too.

Old December 23rd 03, 08:39 PM
Bill Hennessy

No inless you have a good antenna and a good radio. My setup here in
central Texas is good but I can not pick up east coast stations. A beverage
antenna might work.

Bill, N5NOB

Old December 23rd 03, 08:57 PM
Mike Terry

"Mark M" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to know if is is possible to receive
U.S. east coast AM broadcasters from the British Isles
with any reliability???....Thanks

Definitely yes in the winter and sometimes with a portable and telescopic if
the channel is clear. I have QSLs to prove it.

Mike

Old December 23rd 03, 09:18 PM
Ian Smith

"Mark M" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to know if is is possible to receive
U.S. east coast AM broadcasters from the British Isles
with any reliability???....Thanks

Reliability is not possible. It's mostly down to luck, helped by
equipment and location away from electrical noise.
As long as you're an insomniac, or drink plenty of coffee,
something useful usually comes out in the wee small hours with the aid
of a desktop tuned loop antenna and modest receiver. Selectivity more
important than super-sensitivity for such DX. Low sunspot activity
helps with propagation, but not essential. From here in Scotland, I've
logged many east-coasters, some mid-west, Canadian, Carribbean, and
South America.
I even tried an amplified loop with positive feedback to enhance
the Q-effect and really dig out some weak carriers. It gave some odd
effects, but managed to make some weakos intelligible out of the noise
(eg. Greenland). Was somewhat unstable though, and prone to
self-oscillation. I plan to resurrect the project next year, and
refine it a bit.

A beverage antenna would be the best, given enough land to stick
it on.

See what can be done from northern Scotland, given the right location
and equipment -
http://www.dx.freewire.co.uk/

regards,

Ian Smith, Renfrew, Scotland. 55.868733°N 4.399517°W, 7m asl.

Old December 25th 03, 12:33 AM
Gary Sanford

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:18:40 -0000, "Ian Smith"
wrote:

"Mark M" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Another good site is he
http://home.swipnet.se/~w-38231/dxindexe.htm

Gary Sanford

Old December 31st 03, 01:27 AM
Mark M

Thanks to all respondents. Ian Smith especially.
I went to his site and found much interesting information,
well worth it to those interested, to take a look at.
Mark M