Old December 25th 03, 10:02 PM
Parking Space

Default Nice and inexpensive FM radio on the net

I bought a mini radio on this web site:
http://www.absolutebestprices.tk/ it works pretty well, I want to
share this site with others. Check it out
Old December 25th 03, 11:36 PM
Eddie Haskel

ABSOLUTE JUNK!
"Parking Space" wrote in message ..
I bought a mini radio on this web site:
http://www.absoluteCRAP.tk/ it works pretty well, I want to
share this site with others. Check it out

Old December 26th 03, 12:33 AM
Jim Douglas

The local food store has these for $1.00 which is .50 more than they are
worth.

om...

Old December 26th 03, 01:10 AM
Diverd4777

To Whomever:

How this thing work aside from just scanning & stopping somewhere on the
dial..?

If you live in an area with Dozens of stations, how can you just pick out the
One or Two you want ??
IF there are only TWO stations in yur area;
or if you JUST DON'T CARE what station you get
- then maybe this is the radio for you..

Possibly good for something, I'm not sure what;

rather spend a few bucks more & get the AM/FM/ SW Jwin JX -m14

http://store.yahoo.com/kb-electronics/jx-m14.html

now THATS a cheap radio !!

Dan

Old December 26th 03, 01:22 AM
Brenda Ann

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
To Whomever:

How this thing work aside from just scanning & stopping somewhere on the
dial..?

If you live in an area with Dozens of stations, how can you just pick out

the
One or Two you want ??
IF there are only TWO stations in yur area;
or if you JUST DON'T CARE what station you get
- then maybe this is the radio for you..

Possibly good for something, I'm not sure what;

I have one of this type of radio. They are next thing to worthless. They
are mono. They are exceedingly broadbanded (you can get two stations at the
same time). They are deaf (if you don't live in a high signal area, forget
it's a radio, and use it for a talisman).

Old December 26th 03, 01:22 AM
Michael Black

Diverd4777 ) writes:
To Whomever:

How this thing work aside from just scanning & stopping somewhere on the
dial..?

I'm not going to look at the link, but from your comment, I assume
the radio is one of those 2-button FM radios, which are selling here
down to $1.99 each.

I bought one when it hit that point, because I was curious. I couldn't
read the number on the IC, but since there was no ceramic filter (or IF
transformer) I assumed the IC was the Phillips TDA7000. That IC
converts the incoming signal to a very low frequency, I think the 70KHz
area, where active filters can provide the selectivity. Yes, there's
an image problem, but for FM broadcast the image lands between stations.
Checking the datasheet, it couldn't be the TDA7000 because the pin count
did not match. But the Phillips website pointed to some similar ICs,
and one of them had the right pin count. It was something like the TDA7088
(don't quote me, since it's been a while, though I have posted about
it in various newsgroups since I first looked into this). Tracing
the circuit, it was a match. Then I looked more closely at the IC, and
there was a number and it was "7088".

The difference between this IC and the TDA7000 is the extra logic circuitry
for the scanning.

Press the scan button, and it applies a ramp to the varactor in the local
oscillator. When the radio hits a station, a stage notices that it
is a station, and that stops the ramp. Press the scan button again,
and it scans further up the band, until it hits another station, and so
on. Press the reset button, and it goes back to the bottom of the band.

So assuming the spammed radio is the same thing, it is somewhat selective,
and just uses an analog ramp voltage to tune it, rather than a synthesized
local oscillator of a better and more expensive radio.

These radios sell from that dollar or two to twenty dollars or more
with a brand name. I have no idea if the more expensive ones are any better.

I actually never tried mine. I was curious about it's internals. I suspect
operation is limited. Even apart from the odd conversion scheme, the thing
runs off two AAA batteries, which surely can't make for a good mixer,
and I suspect it may tend to overload, like many cheap FM radios before it.

Michael

Old December 26th 03, 01:43 AM
Charles Hawtrey

(Parking Space) staggered to the nearest
keyboard and wrote:

I bought a mini radio on this web site:
http://www.absolutebestprices.tk/ it works pretty well, I want to
share this site with others. Check it out

mmm.... I see your payment methods are described as:

* Complete the purchase form, send a postal money order to the
address given to you in the confirmation email, receive a second email
to confirm that the payment has been received and wait for the item to
arrive.

* Complete the purchase form, send a bank money order to the
address given to you in the confirmation email, receive a second email
to confirm that the payment has been received and wait for the item to
arrive.

* Complete the purchase form, send a personal cheque to the
address given to you in the confirmation email, receive a second email
to confirm that the payment has been received and wait for the item to
arrive.

Why do I get the funny feeling that these instructions translate to
"complete the payment form, send a (postal money order, bank money
order, or personal cheque) and kiss your money goodbye"?

--
hambu n hambu hodo
Old December 26th 03, 02:20 AM
Beloved Leader

"Eddie Haskel" wrote in message m...

ABSOLUTE JUNK!

Looks like the sort of radio you get for free for buying a case of
motor oil. Yecchh.
Old December 26th 03, 06:48 AM
Eddie Haskel

keyboard and wrote:

[...]

You got the picture there Charlie!.....gotta give the idiot a star for
trying....$5 from a few hundred suckers IS a nice Xmas bonus...Eddie

Old December 30th 03, 09:12 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
I bought a mini radio on this web site:
http://www.absolutebestprices.tk/ it works pretty well, I want to
share this site with others. Check it out

I have one. Got it free from an exhibitor at a recent Microsoft
seminar. As a freebie it's okay. I wouldn't spend any money for it,
though.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Please visit the following sites:

American Shortwave Listening Club (ASWLC)

Southern California Area DXers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scads