RadioBanter

-   -   Cool DXing, Sad Lost (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/39769-cool-dxing-sad-lost.html)

Burr December 27th 03 03:07 PM

Cool DXing, Sad Lost

Ridgecrest, Ca.
About 1500 UTC
CAMSPAC USCG
Freq.'s 8983&5696 USB

Stared with a plane called "United 800" (or some number) going down
at sea. The CG was flying close and watched the plane go in from 10,000 ft.

It was NOT a United Airlines plane but a test plane of some kind.

The Air Force sent out their rescue plane and helicopter and their
"PG's" (Para Jumpers) went in, the plane was up side down and the pilot
was dead.
They didn't try to get him out and he went down with his plane.

I am now monitoring the CG freq.'s.

Happier Note,

I wired a data port in my garage with two antenna leads for both SW &
Scanner. Now I can take my laptop to the garage with me while I am
working on these old junk cars.

Happy Holidays

Burr

Diverd4777 December 27th 03 03:26 PM

Burr:
Sad news about whatever happened out in the opcean, keep us updated..

& , on a lighter note,
congrats about the dataport & dual antennas

Happy Holidays !

~ Dan

( About ready to test out my New Backpack on an easy day hike )

Dana [email protected] December 27th 03 08:38 PM

Burr, I am on the coast in Oxnard.
Cant find any sound of what you are hearing.
is it still ongoing?
DW

world wide short wave radio station
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Sel December 27th 03 09:36 PM

Dana wrote:
Burr, I am on the coast in Oxnard.
Cant find any sound of what you are hearing.
is it still ongoing?
DW

world wide short wave radio station
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Go here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGT83V98H1.DTL

It was a New Zealand made aircraft being delvered to the USA. The pilot
came from the same place as I live.

--
Sel ........

Icom R-75 E
Icom PCR-1000
Sangean 909
Sangean 404
Uniden UBC9000XLT
Uniden UBC120XLT

http://sel.enternet.co.nz/weathersat.html

tommyknocker December 27th 03 11:40 PM

Sel wrote:

Dana wrote:
Burr, I am on the coast in Oxnard.
Cant find any sound of what you are hearing.
is it still ongoing?
DW

world wide short wave radio station
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Go here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...AGT83V98H1.DTL

It was a New Zealand made aircraft being delvered to the USA. The pilot
came from the same place as I live.

I heard about this on my local TV news (Sacramento, CA). The plane was
an experimental one of a kind barnstorming/skydiving plane made by the
pilot, who was going to meet his business partner and show the plane to
investors whom they were hoping to interest in a production run. I don't
think the investors will be interested any longer. Apparently the
plane's nonretractable landing gear flipped it over on the water and
drowned the pilot before divers could reach him. I don't usually listen
to ute freqs, and 1500 is a little early for me (about 7 am Pacific
time).

Burr December 28th 03 12:46 AM

Guess my report wasn't the best.

It was yesterday about 1500 local ime. I messed up this report and I'll
try to do better next time.

Burr

Diverd4777 December 28th 03 01:28 AM

Better to err on the side of speed, and then let accuracy sort itself out
later..

- Not Brain Surgery here, after all...

Steve Silverwood December 30th 03 09:12 AM

In article k.net,
says...
The Air Force sent out their rescue plane and helicopter and their
"PG's" (Para Jumpers) went in, the plane was up side down and the pilot
was dead.

The USAF refers to their Pararescue troops as "PJs". FYI.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Please visit the following sites:

American Shortwave Listening Club (ASWLC)

Southern California Area DXers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scads