Old December 27th 03, 05:34 PM
Ron Hardin

Default MW Daytime DX

The sun is low, the sun is quiet, and daytime MW is pretty spectacular

WFAN 660 NYC is booming in in Central Ohio at noon. Well, not booming
in, but easily above the noise. You have to null away locals on the
same frequency.

http://rhhardin4.home.mindspring.com/wfannoon.ra (43k)
(they give the station and the time, a handy instant to show)

That's something under 500 miles eastward.
--
Ron Hardin

Old December 27th 03, 10:55 PM
J999w

That is a good haul for noon.

jw
milwaukee
Old December 28th 03, 06:04 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

J999w wrote:
That is a good haul for noon.

That it is. I've seen similar reports this week - sure wish the AM in
my car radio worked...

A few years back, while travelling through central Kansas this time of
year, the Chicago 50kw clears (then-WMAQ; WGN; WBBM) were blasting in at
2pm. Pretty impressive. Here, I've heard WBAP Fort Worth at high noon
but pretty weak and on a 400-foot BOG.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old December 29th 03, 03:20 AM
John Barnard

Yep, this is a good time of the year to be doing some MW DXing. CBW in
Winnipeg (990 kHz) comes in very well during the daytime here in Edmonton.
A few Washington state stations also seem to come in quite well across
the Rockie Mountains. Now if I could only find and eliminate a severe
noise pest then I could really put the KIWA loop to good use.

John Barnard

Drake R-8B
KIWA MW loop
MW550P preselector/tuner

Ron Hardin wrote:

The sun is low, the sun is quiet, and daytime MW is pretty spectacular

WFAN 660 NYC is booming in in Central Ohio at noon. Well, not booming
in, but easily above the noise. You have to null away locals on the
same frequency.

http://rhhardin4.home.mindspring.com/wfannoon.ra (43k)
(they give the station and the time, a handy instant to show)

That's something under 500 miles eastward.
--
Ron Hardin

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk

Old December 29th 03, 02:57 PM
David

If I get KGO at Noon here in L.A. County I'm all atwitter.

On 27 Dec 2003 22:55:22 GMT, (J999w) wrote:

That is a good haul for noon.

jw
milwaukee