Old December 29th 03, 05:44 PM
Richard

Default Roberts RC818

Hi.

A few years ago I bought a Roberts RC818 for £50. I think the original
buyer paid £200. Anyway, is this radio rated good or what?

Is this really a re-badged Sangean radio? If it is, do you know what Sangean
model it was? Were any mods published?

TIA.

Rich.

Old December 29th 03, 11:09 PM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:44:31 -0600, Richard wrote
(in message ):

Hi.

A few years ago I bought a Roberts RC818 for £50. I think the original
buyer paid £200. Anyway, is this radio rated good or what?

Beter than good; excellent.

Is this really a re-badged Sangean radio?

Yes.

If it is, do you know what Sangean
model it was?

818 (really).

Were any mods published?

I think there are some mods but I like the 818 just the way it came. Sweet
radio and /very/ good on sideband.

If you need info, the manuals are available at RadioShack.com. The DX-390 is
the 818 without cassette recorder and the DX-392 is the 818 with recorder.

TIA.

Rich.

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old December 30th 03, 01:08 AM
Mike W

On a similar topic, it appear as if Sangean has stopped manufacturing the
ATS 818, at least it appears that the 818 (without the cassette recorder) is
no longer available at most SW stores.
The 818ACS is still around however.

.com...

Old December 30th 03, 02:19 AM
Beloved Leader

"Richard" wrote in message ...

Is this really a re-badged Sangean radio? If it is, do you know what Sangean
model it was? Were any mods published?

Does it look anything like this?
http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/ats818.html

Nice radio. I have the Radio Shack version. Yes, there are mods for
it.
http://www.mods.dk/

Search for Radio Shack DX-390 (the version without the built-in
cassette recorder). The modification most often done is to disable the
squelch. This feature causes the radio to be silent when the tuning
knob is turned rapidly.

Early versions of the 818 have 45 memories. Later ones have 54
memories.

Best wishes.
Old December 30th 03, 03:14 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:08:26 -0600, Mike W wrote
(in message ):

On a similar topic, it appear as if Sangean has stopped manufacturing the
ATS 818, at least it appears that the 818 (without the cassette recorder) is
no longer available at most SW stores.
The 818ACS is still around however.

A fast check of a couple of stores seems to confirm that.

I really think the 818 was supposed to be discontinued years ago but it just
keeps on selling. I generally prefer it to my DX-398 (909). (Of course there
is that bank loan I have to renew when it's time to replace the batteries -
all seven of them grin.)

[see below for pre-used .sig.]