Old December 30th 03, 05:14 PM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

Default Sony ICF-SW07 on sale at Amazon

Amazon has the Sony ICF-SW07 on sale for 149.88 USD. Isn't the list price
for this receiver ususally much higher (around 350-400 USD)?

Old December 30th 03, 06:04 PM
Fredric J. Einstein

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:14:34 -0600, "Jenni_is_a_Whore"
wrote:

Amazon has the Sony ICF-SW07 on sale for 149.88 USD. Isn't the list price
for this receiver ususally much higher (around 350-400 USD)?

That's true. The typical price for this receiver is about $350.00 at
it's very lowest. Grab one while you can!!!

Old December 30th 03, 06:24 PM
Fredric J. Einstein

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:13:14 -0600, "Jenni_is_a_Whore"
wrote:

I certainly did, even at the risk of incurring the wrath of the wife.

Just a question about your UseNet "signature". Is "Jenni" your
wife????
Old December 30th 03, 06:40 PM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

No. Jenni is a vicous ex-girlfirend from my past with a great body and a
soul as black as sackcloth. My username is a tribute to her awful, pitiful
exsistance. It is a product of a bad day at work and much alcohol.

Old December 30th 03, 07:01 PM
T. Early

"Jenni_is_a_Whore" wrote in message
Amazon has the Sony ICF-SW07 on sale for 149.88 USD. Isn't the list

price
for this receiver ususally much higher (around 350-400 USD)?

Thanks much for posting this. My ESP tells me there will be an influx
of these on Ebay in about 10 days.

Old December 30th 03, 08:35 PM
Tim

How do these compare to the ATS-909? I just ordered my 909 yesterday and
guess I'm having buyers remorse even before I get it. heh.

Old December 30th 03, 09:03 PM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

Subjective opinion to follow:

The 909 was the first SW radio I ever purchased back in the summer of 2000.
I bought it from Amazon after doing little/no research on the receiver; I
simply bought it because, at the time, it was the most expensive receiver
they carried (a very bad logical rule to follow, I know). I found it to be
a disappointing receiver, especially considering its price class. I live in
the USA midwest so a sensitive receiver is essential even for brodcast
listening, let alone DX. After having owned several other portables in
various price classes, I have to say that the 909 is rather insensitive for
its' price, even with an external or amplified antenna. I even used a Sony
AN-LP1 with it and it didn't seem to help very much. Again, at its' price
it is shocking to find that it lacks SSB reception modes, as well as a synch
detector. I own a Sony ICF-SW77, SW100, with the SW07 on the way. All of
these models have a synch detector (with selectable sideband) and ssb
capability. If the SW07 uses the same synch detector that the SW77/SW100
uses, then it's a sure bet that it will be a much better unit than the 909
for SW broadcast listening & DXing. Also the SW07 comes with an amplified
antenna similar to the LP1, but without an active preselector (that function
is performed by the radio itself, a nice feature). IMHO, if I were you, I
would cancel the order for the 909 and go for the SW07. You will get so
much more for your money. I do have to say that the 909 is excellent at FM
Dxing. I don't own another rig that is as good on FM as it is. Right now,
the 909 is my bathroom radio. It only gets use while I'm taking a shower in
the morning or brushing my teeth at night.

Plese note that my opinion has been tanted by years of heavy beer drinking
and clouded judgement. Others will have more informed and better justified
opinions on the 909 then I do. Your mileage may vary.

JIAW

"Tim" wrote in message ...
How do these compare to the ATS-909? I just ordered my 909 yesterday and
guess I'm having buyers remorse even before I get it. heh.

"Jenni_is_a_Whore" wrote in message
Amazon has the Sony ICF-SW07 on sale for 149.88 USD. Isn't the list

price
for this receiver ususally much higher (around 350-400 USD)?

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old December 30th 03, 09:05 PM
snow

At 149.88 this is a great deal for this radio. I use to own a Sony SW-100
which is similiar and that one also sells for over $300 new. Makes one
wonder if Sony is having a clearance on the SW07 and not going to sell it in
the future as it is way below cost.