Old December 30th 03, 07:19 PM
www.activesignals.com

Default Which radio is better

In your opinion which radio is better?

The JRC NRD-545 or the Drake R8B?

Please explain why you think it is better. It is a tuff decission
deciding which to purchase.
--
Have a day, Keep your radio on

www.activesignals.com for all listeners
Old December 30th 03, 07:31 PM
Jenni_is_a_Whore

I wish I had both in my possession to compare.

BTW, I'm really happy with the R8B I bought a few months ago.

Old December 30th 03, 08:07 PM
Bill Hennessy

Both are very good. But I would go with the Drake. Better performance.
Better quality control.

Bill, N5NOB

Old December 30th 03, 08:59 PM
chuck

i have an r8b and it is an excellent radio, the tech support (here in
canada) is great. i have never had to get mine fixed but i know of other
older models like r8 and r8a needing fixed, and the service was great!
never used a JRC NRD-545 but i have heard that they are great as well.
the only way to decide might be the price

chuck

m...

Old December 31st 03, 01:05 AM
BDK

In article , hennessy@
281.com says...
Both are very good. But I would go with the Drake. Better performance.
Better quality control.

Bill, N5NOB

Better quality control??? In what universe??

BDK
Old December 31st 03, 01:18 AM
BDK

In article ,
says...
In your opinion which radio is better?

The JRC NRD-545 or the Drake R8B?

Please explain why you think it is better. It is a tuff decission
deciding which to purchase.

The 545.

The Drake isn't bad, but it's very cheap feeling, and looking too, IMO.

JRC has the best ergonomics of about any company out there, you will be
using the radio you buy many hours, and that's where JRC has a huge
edge, and the Drake loses here big time. The controls are badly (again,
my opinion) laid out, the display is "plain" at best, actually I think
it's really ugly. The case and front panel are very cheap looking, the
JRC is built like a tank, with excellent fit and finish. And once you
get the hang of it, it's a pleasure to use, even with all the extra
features. Is it perfect? No, but it's about as right, looks and layout
wise as you could ask for in a non Govt bought radio.

As far as performance goes, if you listen to AM programs, the Drake does
sound better. I dont listen to them much, I mostly listen to Ute's and
the 545 is the king. If only I could afford one. I have spent a lot of
hours playing with a friend's 545, and have spent a lot of time with
another friend's R8A and R8B. I was never tempted to buy either one. The
545 is something I want, and want badly.

For digital and SSB modes, the 545 is the way to go, especially the
later production ones.

You owe yourself a trip to Universal to play with both.

BDK