Old January 6th 04, 12:18 AM
Richard

Default Favourite radio name.

Lots of radios had "Sky" in their name.

I was looking today in a 1959 radio magazine and saw an advert for "Sky
Pixie". Aw, cute name. :c) Much better than something like "Transistor
6".

Old January 6th 04, 01:11 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Ah for us old guys -- there was nothing as neat and as affordable as a
Knight kit "Ocean Hopper"

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Old January 6th 04, 02:21 AM
Tony Meloche

Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

Ah for us old guys -- there was nothing as neat and as affordable as a
Knight kit "Ocean Hopper"

And whichever company used to use the phrase "Trans-Oceanic"
(Zenith?)
I thought that had an attractive elegance and "cachet" to it.

Tony

Old January 6th 04, 02:57 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:14 -0600, Richard wrote
(in message ):

Lots of radios had "Sky" in their name.

I was looking today in a 1959 radio magazine and saw an advert for "Sky
Pixie". Aw, cute name. :c) Much better than something like "Transistor
6".

Although, in 1959, "transistor" had the advantage of being "new and
exciting", not like those ole valves/tubes and things that nearly always had
a wall socket/mains line dangling from the back.

Gray

Old January 6th 04, 01:21 PM
Frank Dresser

"Richard" wrote in message
Lots of radios had "Sky" in their name.

Lots of Hallicrafters radios had "Sky" in their name:

Sky Elite
Sky Buddy
Skyfone
Sky Master
Skyrider Diversity
Sky Courier
Skyrider
Super Skyrider
Ultra Skyrider
Skyrider Commercial
Skychief
Sky Challenger
Sky Champion
Skyrider 5-10
Skyrider Marine
Sky Traveler
Skyrider Jr.
Skybuddy II
Sky Challenger II
Skyrider Defiant

These names are from the "Radios by Hallicrafters" book by Chuck Dachis.

I own 9 Hallicrafters radios. None of them have the word "Sky" in the
name. They sure made alot of radios.

I was looking today in a 1959 radio magazine and saw an advert for

"Sky
Pixie". Aw, cute name. :c) Much better than something like

"Transistor
6".

About that time, nearly every transistor radio had to have the words
"Solid State" somewhere on it's case. Hard to imagine, but at one time
tubes weren't cool!

Frank Dresser

Old January 7th 04, 08:05 AM
starman

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

I was about to post the same list from the 'Book'. Thanks for doing it
for me. :-)

Old January 8th 04, 04:21 AM
starman

Gray Shockley wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:18:14 -0600, Richard wrote
(in message ):

Lots of radios had "Sky" in their name.

I was looking today in a 1959 radio magazine and saw an advert for "Sky
Pixie". Aw, cute name. :c) Much better than something like "Transistor
6".

Although, in 1959, "transistor" had the advantage of being "new and
exciting", not like those ole valves/tubes and things that nearly always had
a wall socket/mains line dangling from the back.

Gray

Those born in the past 30-years or so don't realize how 'magical' it was
to have a radio that could be carried in your pocket and used anywhere.
The manufacturers competed for the title of having the most transistors
in a solid state radio. It was a selling point. My first 'transistor'
(early 60's) had a shortwave band. It was the beginning of what became a
life long interest in shortwave radio.

Old January 8th 04, 04:39 AM
Gray Shockley

Gray Shockley wrote:

Although, in 1959, "transistor" had the advantage of being "new and
exciting", not like those ole valves/tubes and things that nearly always
had a wall socket/mains line dangling from the back.

Gray

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:21:04 -0600, starman wrote
(in message ):

Those born in the past 30-years or so don't realize how 'magical' it was
to have a radio that could be carried in your pocket and used anywhere.
The manufacturers competed for the title of having the most transistors
in a solid state radio. It was a selling point. My first 'transistor'
(early 60's) had a shortwave band. It was the beginning of what became a
life long interest in shortwave radio.

Curiously enough, I bought a Panasonic radio (AM-FM) last week that is
actually labeled a "Two-Way Radio" (5" main and one-inch tweeter in a 3/8"
wood cabinet).

However, when ya pop the back cover it shouts out at ya (LOUDLY) "10
Transistors, ? Diodes" - the cover is back on and I don't remember how many
diodes grin).

Between my wife and me, we came out that it's prolly 40-50 years old.
Replaced the power cord and it worked. Still gotta see if tuner cleaner (the
RadioShack "Color Tuner Cleaner") will fix the very noisy volume control or
if I need to replace).

Gray Shockley
And, yes, this one was ten dollars at
one of the "Junk & Good Stuff" Stores.

Old January 8th 04, 04:44 AM
Tony Meloche

starman wrote:

Gray Shockley wrote:

[...]

Thaks for the trip down Memory Lane, Gray! My first transistor radio
(1963) was a "Hinode" with two, count 'em two, transistors. 18 months
later, I received a Panasonic with 8 transistors, and thought I had the
world by the butt. But my early shortwave listening was with a
monstrous 1937 Zenith - all tubes, of course.

Tony

Old January 23rd 04, 02:16 AM
Dave Moorman

Mine is "SX-117"