Old January 7th 04, 11:52 AM
Pete KE9OA

I understand that...................I just don't have the authority to speak
on behalf of my employer. I am just a "little guy" on the totem pole. I will
definitely put it up to the boss. We will be using one of the new Motorola
microcontrollers, so it shouldn't be too hard to work with.

Pete

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in message
Pete KE9OA wrote:
I am not sure about that, but it sounds like a good idea. As far as the
interface, I am not sure what platform they will be using. We will
probably use some sort of DOS program for setting up the initial
parameters. Stay tuned!

I think what Greg is getting at (and I'd favor) is releasing the command
protocol to the public so that users can write their own interface
software. (either to support alternative operating systems like Linux,
or to provide software functions that you may not have thought of. Some
such programs have been released for some of the Ten-Tec radios, for
example.)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old January 8th 04, 05:42 AM
starman

Pete KE9OA wrote:

starman wrote in message
Pete,

Have you heard anything about how this receiver will be marketed? Is
there a distributor on board?

Hi,
We may market this unit ourselves. I contacted both Universal and
Grove, and the responses from both of them were lukewarm. I am the new kid
on the block, so they don't know anything about me, so I can't really blame
them for their lack of interest. I don't think that we will need anybody for
a distribution network, but who knows? Our company is doing a good job
selling out current products through our website.
Anyway, if any of you have the XM Satellite receivers, they are using the
AD607s, so you can get an idea of the recovered audio quality. I did some
listening to the detector last night, and where the envelope detector was
clearly exhibiting distortion on faded signals, the sync detector maintained
clean audio quality almost all the way down into the noise level. Once the
signal almost completely faded out, there was some distortion, but it was
very minimal. The AD607 recovers is less than 20uSec, so settling time is
not an issue. I still would like to eliminate the slight modulation I am
seeing on the limited signal; once this is done, I will be able to narrow
the loop bandwidth. If it is too narrow, the system will go out of lock on
modulation peaks.
Right now, I have the loop bandwidth set at 58kHz, and the system is super
clean. Still needs some work, but I am very close.

Pete

I'm starting to get enthusiastic about the possibility of your sync'
detector being available as an outboard unit, maybe as a kit too. It
would be nice to have a more reasonably priced one than the
Sherwood-SE3. Hope you can sell the idea to your boss.

Old January 8th 04, 09:20 PM
Pete KE9OA

I did talk to him about it, and it could be a possibility. I don't think
they would be able to offer it in kit form. The company I work for is an
engineering and consulting firm, so they are not really set up for this kind
of thing. In order to provide a kit, you really need to be able to provide
strong support in the event of mishaps. The AD607 is a very fine pitch part
(.0267 pin to pin spacing), and it isn't easy to mount without using a
stereo microscope to check the connections. A very fine soldering tip is
required, with .010 size solder.
I will be glad to send you the schematic if you are interested.

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 07:36 AM
starman

Pete KE9OA wrote:

[...]

I suppose you could factory install the AD607 on the board and leave the
rest for the kit builder to do. Please send your AD607 sync' schematic

Thanks

Old January 9th 04, 08:56 AM
Gregg

Behold, Pete KE9OA signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

snip

The AD607 is a very fine
pitch part (.0267 pin to pin spacing), and it isn't easy to mount
without using a stereo microscope to check the connections. A very fine
soldering tip is required, with .010 size solder.

EEEEP! I don't like SMD myself, but in the shop we did those with dabs of
solder paste on the pads, add part, stick heatgun over the whole kaboodle
and let the hydraulic action actually pull the part in perfect alignment
on the pads :-D

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*