Old January 6th 04, 01:24 PM
Diverd4777

Default Radio Australia Booming on 9.580

S-5 S- 7 here on the east coast
Almost as clear as a local / regional AM Station

- Check it out !
Old January 6th 04, 01:40 PM
Ron

S-10 in west central Ohio.

Old January 6th 04, 01:41 PM
KB

Radio Australia at 30 db over S-9 in Eastern Kentucky!

KB

Yaesu FT-1000D
Icom IC-718's
Ten Tec RX 340
Full wave 160 meter loop and Roller Inductor Tuner

Old January 6th 04, 01:46 PM
Diverd4777

FYI Cats love adio Australia;

- Our cat , hearing the music they're playing, tried to jump up on the receiver
& investigate, knocking everything down.

Gently took him out , put him in front of the TV & turned it on . .

Old January 6th 04, 02:13 PM
N8KDV

Diverd4777 wrote:

S-5 S- 7 here on the east coast
Almost as clear as a local / regional AM Station

Nothing really unusual about that. They generally put in a good signal
here on 9580.

What was unusual this morning was having to go out and do some minor
antenna repairs. The PL-259 on my 200' wire must have worked its way out
of the matching transformer due to repeated heating and cooling. This
mornings 9 degree temp put the finishing touches on it and it was not
making a good connection. At first I thought my coax had failed (it's
buried), but after doing some continuity checks, and finding out that
the PL-259 seemed just a tad loose, I quickly got it up and running
again.

It's damn cold out there in the wind and snow!

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers"

Old January 6th 04, 02:20 PM
N8KDV

And now after 1400 they have switched to 9590. Also in // 5995 with a
good signal too.

Old January 6th 04, 02:24 PM
Rick KB1KIL

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Diverd4777 wrote:

[...]

They were playing some weird stuff this morning. I finally got tired of it
and changed to listening to QRM. Actually hams talking over each other on
7219 and 7219.25
Kinda funny.

Yes Steve, I had to do that a couple of weeks ago after a bad snow storm.

73's
Rick

Drake R8 R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

"If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?"

Old January 6th 04, 02:32 PM
Rick KB1KIL

Diverd4777 wrote:

S-5 S- 7 here on the east coast
Almost as clear as a local / regional AM Station

- Check it out !

I'm hearing them as well on that frequency.

Old January 6th 04, 02:55 PM
Hans

S4 -S5 on 9590/11660/9475. Traditional (drum, sing) music
S2 -S3 on 11750

grtz,
Hans, Amsterdam the Netherlands

"Rick KB1KIL" schreef in bericht

Old January 6th 04, 04:43 PM
BDK

In article , diverd4777
@aol.com says...
S-5 S- 7 here on the east coast
Almost as clear as a local / regional AM Station

- Check it out !

In Ohio, on my R71a sitting on the kitchen table with a 10' hunk of wire
shoved into the center of the SO-239, without the preamp, it was 30 over
on 9580, with it, it was pegged out. I haven't seen signal strength like
that for a long time. I went into the other room and put the 515 on
11.175 USB, and the base (Just went out of my head, can't remember where
it was at, as soon as I hit send, it will come back) was 60 over on my
sloper, and the attic dipole, AND the short dipole too! I could hear all
kinds of planes talking in the background. If I ran the volume up, they
were all totally copiable, but when one of the strong ones keyed up, it
bloew my head off.

It's really strong everywhere I tried today, must be the cold temp and
snow cover. It sure is quiet too...

Too bad it's not like this in the summer..

BDK