Old January 11th 04, 01:39 PM
Robert11

Default To: "Nobody You Know" Re JRC 545 Notch Tracking

Hello:

Will post new, as old post is pretty buried by now.

Just want to say a quick thanks for info. and explanation of Notch Tracking
on
my JRC NRD 545.

You've explained things a lot better, by far, than their manual.

Their manual, in my opinion, leaves lots of unanswered questions for a
beginner.
Really appreciate the time you took to write it out for me.

Still playing with all the DSP parameter settings like you mentioned.
Lots to learn, but fun.

Think my next big project will have to be to do something about my aerial
(do receiving only).
it's a random length wire running around the 4 sides of my attic, then down
to receiver.
Open at the end. Picking up lots of house type noise, apparently.

When it warms up a bit (it's around 0 now here in Mass.), will probably try
some coax to the attic,
and a 9:1 Balun, and see if that helps any.

All sorts of totally contradictory opinions on whether a Balun is of any
help at all for a receiving only setup. Opinion ?

Best regards,
Bob Rose

Old January 12th 04, 02:41 AM
Nobody You Know

Think my next big project will have to be to do something about my aerial
(do receiving only).
it's a random length wire running around the 4 sides of my attic, then down
to receiver.
Open at the end. Picking up lots of house type noise, apparently.

When it warms up a bit (it's around 0 now here in Mass.), will probably try
some coax to the attic,
and a 9:1 Balun, and see if that helps any.

All sorts of totally contradictory opinions on whether a Balun is of any
help at all for a receiving only setup. Opinion ?

Best regards,
Bob Rose

An outdoor antenna is usually better than an indoor one. Make it as long and
high as possible, but keep it away from power lines (for obvious safety
reasons, but also because of power line noise). But keep the indoor one, and
use whichever works best in a given circumstance. If you can't have an outdoor
antenna, then try the coax lead-in from the attic and see if it helps.

It's hard to say if a balun will benefit you, as everyone's situation is
different. For what it's worth, I use this one, and it does seem to cut down
the noise somewhat:

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/antsup/1484.html

Consider an antenna tuner and/or preselector. It could help, but no guarantees.

If you're at all interested in MW or LW DX, then consider a loop antenna to
suppliment your wire antenna. Being in Mass, you'll probably hear European and
North African Medium and long wave stations without too much effort if
propogation permits.

Nations are like leaves; they change color before they fall.
Old January 12th 04, 10:35 AM
starman

Robert11 wrote:
snipped

All sorts of totally contradictory opinions on whether a Balun is of any
help at all for a receiving only setup. Opinion ?

A balun or more correctly an 'unun' can be very useful if it's installed
correctly in the antenna system. See the following website for more
info':

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html