Old January 12th 04, 02:12 AM
-Bill M-

Default How to add crystal oscillator to S-108?

Frank Dresser wrote:
"-Bill M-" exray@coquidotnet wrote in message

While all of the previous comments are good advice I suspect a counter
would drive a guy crazy on an S-108 with the constantly drifting freq
and oscillator pulling.
The 100kc calibrator will get you in the ballpark...at least to as

close

as you can read the dial...I don't recall that there's a front panel
tweak to align the pointer or LO to have the calibrator line up with

the

dial.
Nice little radio but if you want a better radio, well...
Its kinda like sticking STP racing stickers on a Chevy Vega.

-Bill

The bandspread is marked off with a 0 - 100 interval. If the operator
notes the number of bandspread divisions between known 100 kc intervals,
he can come up with a reasonably precise approximation of the actual
frequency. Good enough for SWLing, anyway.

Frank Dresser

I suppose so. On a 'factory aligned" job one still might have to
struggle with which 100kc blip is which.

-Bill M

Old January 12th 04, 07:23 AM
Frank Dresser

"-Bill M-" exray@coquidotnet wrote in message

I suppose so. On a 'factory aligned" job one still might have to
struggle with which 100kc blip is which.

-Bill M

Not to mention images and unmodulated carriers. Actually, I never used
a crystal calibrator. I'd count off the divisions between two known SW
broadcasters and divide difference in frequency by the number of
divisions and come up with a useful approximation. It's kind of a pain.
And not so useful for the ham bands. Anyway, I haven't done it in
years, and I never did it much. I mostly listen to the strong domestic
SW stations now.

Those non-linear bandspread capacitor plates on the S-38 and S-53 types
will introduce more errors.

Frank Dresser