Old January 16th 04, 03:42 AM
Frank Dresser

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
Here's what real cold looks like (URL below). They may break the all
time record of -47/F tonight. If so, the wind chill could be lower

than
-100/F! It's warmer on Mars.

http://www.mountwashington.org/

- Is there anyone UP there ??

If it gets too cold, they could set the transmitters on fire again.

Frank Dresser

Old January 16th 04, 04:20 AM
Frank White

In article ,
says...

Here's what real cold looks like (URL below). They may break the all
time record of -47/F tonight. If so, the wind chill could be lower than
-100/F! It's warmer on Mars.

http://www.mountwashington.org/

- Is there anyone UP there ??

They showed a clip on the news of someone on a tower up there
pounding on the metal framework with a heavy bar to break off
a massive coating of ice...

I wouldn't want to be the one doing that.

FW

Old January 17th 04, 04:59 AM
starman

Frank White wrote:

In article ,
says...

Here's what real cold looks like (URL below). They may break the all
time record of -47/F tonight. If so, the wind chill could be lower than
-100/F! It's warmer on Mars.

http://www.mountwashington.org/

- Is there anyone UP there ??

They showed a clip on the news of someone on a tower up there
pounding on the metal framework with a heavy bar to break off
a massive coating of ice...

I wouldn't want to be the one doing that.

They have a phenomenon known as 'rime' ice up there. It's formed by wind
driven super cooled fog which deposits on objects as horizontal spikes
of ice which point *into* the wind!

Old January 16th 04, 02:17 AM
Diverd4777

- You'd need more than a T shirt up there...

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/index.php

Reminder to stay warm...

-3, that is MINUS 3 w/o the wind here in Orange County, NY

Old January 16th 04, 02:50 AM
Diverd4777

Yup. Someone goes out every hour to collect data. They recorded the
highest wind speed on earth in 1934. It was 230-mph. The main building
is rated for winds up to 300-mph.

Right:
- Someone ( 2 guys) opened the door a crack while the third stuck the
anemometer outside;
- it broke; ( & I suppose they pulled in whatevber was left , shugththe door &
bolted it
But that was thr record
Original building is stone, criss crossed with anchor chains...
& quite a climb up there in fair weather..

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/index.php

Old January 16th 04, 03:11 AM
Maximus

In Siberia, it gets to -100 frequently, and God knows what the wind chill
for THAT would be LOL.So cold that tires shatter ....

Old January 16th 04, 04:03 AM
Brenda Ann

"Maximus" wrote in message
hlink.net...
In Siberia, it gets to -100 frequently, and God knows what the wind chill
for THAT would be LOL.So cold that tires shatter ....

Haven't heard anything close to that on the local weather reports here..
(they give temps for Mongolia, Siberia, and points west).

Old January 16th 04, 04:31 AM
Tony Meloche

Maximus wrote:

In Siberia, it gets to -100 frequently, and God knows what the wind chill
for THAT would be LOL.So cold that tires shatter ....

Siberia is colder than brass underwear in the winter, no question.
But unless their record has been broken recently, the coldest still air
temp ever recorded there was -98 Farenheit. 5W30 motor oil turns to
stiff caramel at -35 Farenheit, and tires shatter at -50 Farenheit.
It's stretching it a bit to say Siberia
"gets to -100 frequently", though.

Tony

Old January 16th 04, 01:12 PM
Rick KB1KIL

"If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?"
"Burr" wrote in message

Forecasters warned of "extremely dangerous" wind chills tonight -- as
low as 45 degrees below zero -- for the northeastern U.S. "These values
can produce frostbite in under 15 minutes," a National Weather Service
advisory said.

From CNN

Burr

I live in Maine and I went out for my morning walk and made it about 100ft
from the house, and decided to turn back. With the wind, it was just too
cold. Winds gusts to about 35mph with -14 f.

--
73's
Rick

Drake R8 R8B
ICOM R75
Yaesu 7700
Hammarlund SP-600-JX-17

Old January 16th 04, 03:32 PM
PunchMe

Man it that sucks. Know I remember why I live in Florida! Only down to the
low 50's at night mid-70's during the day!

JP

"Burr" wrote in message

Forecasters warned of "extremely dangerous" wind chills tonight -- as
low as 45 degrees below zero -- for the northeastern U.S. "These values
can produce frostbite in under 15 minutes," a National Weather Service
advisory said.

From CNN