Old January 18th 04, 01:11 AM
Sidchase3

Default Technical Question: WBCQ Vs. AFRTS

I've been using a Sony 7600G since 1998. Although I've used the SSB setting to
listen to ham radio operators, I listened to an AFRTS station (Key West) for
the first time the other night. According to Passport this SSB station is
transmitting at only 8Kw. It came in passably well.

Why is it that WBCQ with its 50Kw transmitter is so often lost in static? I
know that SSB greatly reduces the power needed to propagate effectively, but I
don't understand why a domestic station has such abysmal propagation. In the
winter BCQ often disappears for weeks or even months in the late evening. I
also know that the station is cobbled together, but what is it exactly that
they are doing wrong? Is it the quality of parts, the location of the station
in Maine, etc.? Could someone with expertise venture a technical opinion? I
understand that some people dislike WBCQ for its programming content, but I'm
really only interested in the technical aspects.

Thanks, Bill
Old January 18th 04, 02:44 AM
N8KDV

Sidchase3 wrote:

[...]

Why does WBCQ disappear for you after a certain time of night? It's called
propagation. I don't know where you are located, but what is happening is that the
band goes 'long', and when that happens you are in the 'skip zone' and the signal
is essentially going right over your head!

That's the short answer.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B
"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers" ©

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old January 18th 04, 03:16 AM
Maximus

Yup. I have recently heard several of AFRTS's signals including the one in
Key West. Today I listened to R. Vilnius in Lithuania and Brazil within
minutes of each other with fairly decent signals, but there are lots of
places I'd love to hear but probably will not because of geography. Then
again, on the same frequency there may be two different stations in two
different places - one night one may come in but not the other, and the next
time, it will be the opposite. If solar activity is energetic enough, you
may hear nothing at all at times anywhere on any band. I guess it pays to be
appreciative and patient. I've mentioned before that the Orient comes in
prominently here on the West Coast, but it does me little good if they don't
broadcast in English s.

Old January 18th 04, 04:31 AM
Maximus

One of the things about the Ionosphere and earth's magnetic field is that
there are holes in our magnetic field. This I think would tend to change the
ionosphere and probably the way it reflects. Recently they have also
discovered that the strength of earth's magnetic field is weakening and
maybe in a few thousand years, we may have only a negligible field. That
will put an end to shortwave reception altogether. With so much complexity,
I would think predictions would be difficult.

"Diverd4777" wrote in message
for reasons that I don't really understand, WBCQ on 7.415
is skipping over large parts of the Northeast U.S...
BUT
VOA broadcastiong from Botwana, Africa
on 7.415;
often comes in at these " BCQ Blackout" Times.
- Again, don't know why the " Skip Zone " changed,
It'll probably change back in a day, week or whatever

I have recently picked up Air Port Taffic from The Azores...
- Wierd !

Dan

In article ,

Old January 19th 04, 07:02 AM
CW

WBCQ is a domestic shortwave station. As such, by FCC regulation, they can
not target the US with their signal. Their antenna have to be directional
and aimed to another part of the planet than the US. Since their intended
target is in the US, they keep there pattern as close to their target as
possible and still abide by regulation. This means that they will never have
an optimal signal. What you are picking up is incidental radiation.