Old January 25th 04, 12:21 AM
Pavel

Default Newbie - Suggestions on Portable SWR for Travelling

I am new to shortwave. The wife and I are looking for a decent sounding and
reception wise short-wave radio that can pick up Canada and USA and other
international stations while travelling to places like Eastern Europe,
Mexico - (Eastern) Yucatan, Caribbean

Radio Shack has many but with a maximum of 5 bands? We don't want to shell
out more than $100. Is that possible? Oh, I should also say that our
success with used products is not very good. So, we should buy new.

Thanks for any advice that you may have.

Old January 25th 04, 01:17 AM
snow

Sangean sell some decent portables under $100. If you want SSB with it you
may have to spend upto $150. For excellant audio you can't go wrong with a
Grundig YB400, but it will cost close to $150 new. A Grundig YB300 without
SSB and decent audio goes for $100 and under, so some good choices out
there. Check places like Amazon.com, Universal Radio, Grove Enterprises
websites. Amazon tends to have specials on shortwave radios.

Old January 25th 04, 03:55 PM
David

I have both the Grundig YB-300 and the Sangean ATS606A. The Grundig
is very mediocre. The Sangean has superior performance and the
speaker is extremely well-voiced.

On 25 Jan 2004 01:52:55 GMT, (Soames123) wrote:

Look at Sangean 606A at
universal radio;
'This works Very well, small, realativly cheap..

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3319.html

This one also gets high marks..
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/1101.html

Old January 25th 04, 03:16 PM
Nathan

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:21:21 GMT, "Pavel" wrote:

I am new to shortwave. The wife and I are looking for a decent sounding and
reception wise short-wave radio that can pick up Canada and USA and other
international stations while travelling to places like Eastern Europe,
Mexico - (Eastern) Yucatan, Caribbean

Radio Shack has many but with a maximum of 5 bands? We don't want to shell
out more than $100. Is that possible? Oh, I should also say that our
success with used products is not very good. So, we should buy new.

Thanks for any advice that you may have.

Check out the DEGEN DE1102 also called the KAITI KA1102. The most bang
for the buck of any sub $100.00 radio I have seen ( I also own it ). I
purchased mine a couple of weeks ago on EBAY for $50.00.

Old January 25th 04, 06:53 PM
Tom Welch

My travel radio is a Sangean ATS 606AP,
however, if I was traveling overseas,
I would now buy a Kaita KA105, since it
seems to go forever on 2 AAs. Here's
a link to read a detail review of this
radio http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka105.htm

Both Radio4You and Universal sell this radio.

Old January 26th 04, 05:41 AM
WShoots1

A Grundig YB300 without SSB and decent audio goes for $100 and under,

You'd want the YB300PE. "Street" price for it is $79.95. That's what Radio
Shack wants for it, too.

Happy Travels,
Bill, K5BY