Old January 25th 04, 01:47 AM
Brian

Default antenna configuration

My random wire is at about fifty feet since this is the end of my lot. Would
anything positive come from lengthening it another fifty feet at a ninety
degree angle? Just curious since I am getting myself a used R8 or possibly
an R75 in the next few weeks and I want to put up the most wire possible. My
girlfriend shakes her head in disbelief.

Brian

Old January 25th 04, 02:56 AM
Soames123

Brian:
- I suggest Absolute heresy;
- make Several antennas,
one of the the antenna about 200 or so feet long.
going any old direction !

This way, you can switch between antennas when the 50 footer barely picks up,
or fails to pick up a signal

Play !

Subject: antenna configuration

Old January 25th 04, 03:24 AM
Maximus

I like several equal lengths in one direction, and the same in another.
Long wires have some directionality that can serve you well in case of
interference or bad reception.

You can have a single pole, and tie the wires to the pole and connect one
set to one wire and use that; use the other set similaly. Connect alligator
clips to the ends of the two wires. You can connect both : one to eh center
conductor of a piece of coaxial cable, and the other to the shield.

If you can run one set of wires in the same direction (north-south) and
another set east west, you can have the advantage of both.

Keep in mind that even if you had a mile of wire out there, if propogation
is lousy, reception will be lousy too s. I would suggest grounding the
receiver. If possible, arrange a means of running static to ground. Connect
teh sheild of the coax to the ground. I used a 6 ft piece of reinforcement
bar pounded into the earth. Keep in mind that stuff you do not want to hit
is also underground ... hit a fiber optic line or gas line, and you will
regret it s.

Old January 25th 04, 12:17 PM
Arthur Harris

"Brian" wrote:
My random wire is at about fifty feet since this is the end of my lot.

Would
anything positive come from lengthening it another fifty feet at a ninety
degree angle? Just curious since I am getting myself a used R8 or

possibly
an R75 in the next few weeks and I want to put up the most wire possible.

My
girlfriend shakes her head in disbelief.

It won't make much difference; possibly a slight improvement on the lower
frequency bands. If the additional length of wire will run near noise
sources (power lines, houses, etc.) it might actually make reception worse.

Art Harris N2AH

Old January 25th 04, 01:17 PM
RHF

BRIAN,

Expanding the Random Wire Antenna = Three Words: Go-For-It !

Its a "Random Wire" Antenna and 'any' Fold, Bend or Twist...
Simply Adds To It's Random-ness-Ness-NESS )

If this is a On-the-Fence Antenna: Continue to run/route the
Antenna Element along the Top of the Fence; from one side of
the yard; then along the back side of the yard; and finally
along the opposite side of the yard. Start near the Ground
Go Up to the Top of the Fence; then go along the top of the
Fence until the far end; next go down to three to five feet
(about One Foot above the Ground level); and finally go along
the Bottom of the Fence until you reach the starting point.
This EXPANDEDS a Single Sided and On the Top Only (Single Run)
Antenna Element of 50 Feet into 50 Feet by Three Sides by
Top and Bottom to 300 Feet. (50x3x2=300)

If this is an In-the-Air Random Antenna: The same thing can
be done using a "TOP" Higher-Out-Leg at 20-40 Feet with a
"BOTTOM" Lower-Back-Leg 5-10 Feet below the TOP one.

There are Five (5) Images of different Configurations of the
"Low Noise SWL Antennas" a la John Doty that can be viewed
at this URL: Click-To See= http://tinyurl.com/ytzqe

There are Three (3) Images of different Configurations of
"Hidden Antennas" that can be viewed at this URL:
Click-To See= http://tinyurl.com/25mn4

There are Seven (7) Images of different Configurations of the
"MLB - Magnetic LongWire Balun Antennas" that can be viewed at
this URL: Click-To See= http://tinyurl.com/yuftd

There are Six (6) Images of different Configurations of the
"In-the-ATTIC" that can be viewed at this URL:
Click-To See= http://tinyurl.com/yuftd

iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night... You Can Hear Forever and Beyond !
..
..
= = = "Brian"

Old January 25th 04, 03:57 PM
David

Avoid and equal length ''doubling-back'' toward the radio; otherwise,
go nuts.

Old January 25th 04, 10:35 PM
RHF

DR,

Can you expand on this statement ? ? ?

"Avoid and equal length ''doubling-back''
toward the radio; otherwise, go nuts."

iwtk ~ RHF
..
..