Old February 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
N8KDV

RHF wrote:

MW,

Since we are expanding the Topic from "AA -=V=- AAA Batteries"
to other Battery Sizes.

The GE Superadios, the CCRadios and now the Grundig S350 /
Tecsun BCL-2000 all use a set of Four (4) of the larger "D"
Size Batteries. [ 4 x 1.5VDC = 6VDC Power Source ]

I can't speak about the other radios, but the Superadio III uses 6 D size
batteries.

Some radio users report that a set of "D" Batteries in these
Radios "Lasts-for-Months" when these radios are used for about
Three (3) Hours Daily.

nbr ~ RHF
= = = No Batteries Required )
.
.
= = = "Mike W"
= = = wrote in message .. .
I have owned a DX-375, and one of the great things about it is that you
really don't need an AC adapter. The battery life is so good on these
radios with 2 Alkaline "C"'s , I wouldn't even bother with rechargeables.
On the other hand, most of the portables with AA's would be another story.

"N Deveau" wrote in message
I have a quick question. I have been thinking of getting
some rechargeable batteries and a charger. One thing I want
them for is my DX-375 which uses 2-c cells. My understanding
is that they are 1.2 volts, does this make any difference to
radio operation?

Norm

What are the tradeoffs when buying
radio gear that is powered by AAs
vs. AAAs batteries?

Both AAs and AAAs seem to be priced the
same.

I have never bought a radio using AAAs,
but now I am very interest in buying a
Sony pocket radio that uses AAAs, so
I am thinking of making an exception
to my rule of never buying gear that
uses AAAs.

Tom Welch

Old February 3rd 04, 04:10 AM
N Deveau

I can't speak about the other radios, but the Superadio III uses 6 D size
batteries.

Oh yeah, well my Zenith uses 9 D cells.

Which is all very nice until you have to change them...

Or carry it.

I just plug it in and leave it in the house.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:29 AM
RHF

N8KDV,

YOU ARE SO RIGHT ! (I Did a Physical Inspection)
GE Superadio III does have Six(6) "D" Size Batteries.

This just points out the fact that by the time a set of Alkaline
Batteries is used up - One Forgets Just How Many There Are )

CLAIM: "Six internal "D" Cells with over 400 Hours Battery Life !"

Plus it is now claimed that the 'newer' Duracell "Ultra" Batteries
and Energizer "e2" Batteries both last 50% longer then the older
alkaline batteries.

So, I guess a Set-of-Batteries could last 600+ Hours: At Three(3)
Hours a Day that is almost Seven(7) Months on one set of Batteries.

FOR THE FUTU Not wanting to be 'non-factual' I did a
follow-up Physical Inspection of most of my "D" Cell Radios:

GE Superadio I = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
GE Superadio II = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
GE Superadio III = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
GE World Monitor # P-990A = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
GE World Monitor # 7-2990A = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
GE World Monitor # 7-2900A = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries

CCRadio = Four(4) "D" Size Batteries
CCRadioPlus = Four(4) "D" Size Batteries

Grundig S350 'Super Radio' = Four(4) "D" Size Batteries
Tecsun BCL-2000 'Red Hot' = Four(4) "D" Size Batteries

Sony ICF-2010 = Three(3) "D" Size Batteries

Panasonic RF-2200 = Four(4) "D" Size Batteries
Panasonic RF-2800 = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
Panasonic RF-2900 = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
Panasonic RF-2600 = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
Panasonic RF-4900 = EIGHT (8) "D" Size Batteries (YES "8")

Hitachi TH-812 = Six(6) "D" Size Batteries
[ The Grand-Daddy of All My Radios ]

FWIW: Back in the early 1960s I managed to receive "WBZ" in
Boston using this Hitachi TH-812 (TRF AM/MW Portable Radio) with
an outboard 'inductively coupled' Tunable Ferrite Rod Antenna
Feed by a 65 Foot Random Wire Antenna.
GoTo= http://www.transistor.org/collection.../hitachi9.html
NOTE: This took me Two Winter Seasons to Log this DX Catch.

OBTW: If you are interested in Old Transister Radios
Check-Out the "WWW.Transistor.Org" website:
GoTo= http://www.transistor.org/collection/collection.html

taf ~ RHF
= = = Thats All Folks !
..
..
= = = N8KDV

Old February 3rd 04, 05:46 AM
WShoots1

Oh yeah, well my Zenith uses 9 D cells.

Which is all very nice until you have to ... carry it.

That's called "Navy portable." G I once had a "laptop" computer like that.

Bill, K5BY
Old February 3rd 04, 07:35 AM
starman

"CAndersen (Kimba)" wrote:

(N Deveau) wrote:

My understanding
is that they are 1.2 volts, does this make any difference to
radio operation?

The big difference between rechargeables and alkaline batteries is that as
soon as you start using alkalines, their voltage begins to drop.
Rechargeables stay pretty much at their initial voltage and then die
suddenly.

So even though rechargeables start out at a lower voltage, almost all
electronics are designed to operate over a range of voltages and the
performance with rechargeables is no different than it would be with a set
of alkalines at about the middle of their useful life.

But you'll get little warning about when the rechargeables are used up, so
you'll want to have a second set always ready.

One exception is the Sony-2010 which won't operate properly on three
NiCd 'D' cells (3.6-V) instead of alkalines (4.5-V). This is
particularly a problem on shortwave with the sync' detector on. That
mode uses the most power. The radio was designed to run at a nominal
voltage of 4.5-V which doesn't leave much head room for some of it's
circuits. I made an internal battery pack for my '2010' with four
2200-mah sub-C NiMh's (4.8-V). The '2010' can handle a little over
voltage with no problem.

Old February 3rd 04, 12:23 PM
RHF

BILL [K5BY],

Then Panasonic RF-4900 must be "Navy Portable". (But Will It Float ? )

Panasonic RF-4900 = EIGHT (8) "D" Size Batteries (YES "8")

jftfoi ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (WShoots1)

Old February 3rd 04, 01:10 PM
CAndersen (Kimba)

starman wrote:

One exception is the Sony-2010 which won't operate properly on three
NiCd 'D' cells (3.6-V) instead of alkalines (4.5-V).

Well, I did say "almost all".

--
Reply address munged. You can figure it out.
Old February 4th 04, 06:19 AM
WShoots1

RHF: Then Panasonic RF-4900 must be "Navy Portable". (But Will It Float ? )

I'd say that unit gives new meaning to "boat anchor." G

Bill, K5BY
Old February 4th 04, 10:14 PM
CW

That depends. If you have multiple batteries in the radio, the total voltage
may be to low to run the radio. Stick reachable in a Sangean 818 and see how
long it lasts.