Old February 1st 04, 11:45 PM
Brian

Default 1.947

I'm listening to some hams on 1.947 at 2342. Is this a normal amateur radio
frequency?

Brian

Old February 1st 04, 11:47 PM
Brian

Actually, now I'm finding a lot of stuff in this area. Never really listened
this low before.
ink.net...

Old February 2nd 04, 12:07 AM
Pirate Bill

I sometimes chat down there as well Brian....It dies out on 160 meters as
the temps get warm and the static crashes go up. Its a good band to DX on if
the conditions are right and the temps are really cold )

KB
ink.net...

Old February 2nd 04, 08:19 PM
Jim Vecchiola

Yes, it's the 160 meter band, extends from 1800 kHz to 2000 kHz.

KR2T

Old February 2nd 04, 08:57 PM
Eddie Haskel

COLD winter nights are a lot of fun on 160 Brian, check out some of the
audio quality these guys have. A lot of them sound like they are running
surplus commercial broadcast transmitters, while others are running old
Heathkit DX-100's...Eddie
"J Tabor" wrote in message
Howdy,

Yes, the 160m amateur radio allocation is from 1.8 to 2 MHz.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bands.html

Regards,
Jim
--
email sent to:
is discarded without being seen.
ink.net...

Old February 3rd 04, 06:33 AM
starman

"J Tabor" wrote in message
Howdy,

Yes, the 160m amateur radio allocation is from 1.8 to 2 MHz.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bands.html

Regards,
Jim

How long has it been since Loran stations used that area of the
spectrum? I remember hearing them on/about 1700-Khz at least 30-years
ago.

Old February 3rd 04, 08:14 PM
Mark Keith

starman wrote in message ...

How long has it been since Loran stations used that area of the
spectrum? I remember hearing them on/about 1700-Khz at least 30-years
ago.

Been a good while. Over 20 years. Maybe late 70's???? I know they
were gone in the early 80's, as thats when I first started using 160m,
and I never had to deal with that awful racket. I sure remember it
from the 60's and maybe part of the 70's. Terrible noise...MK
Old February 3rd 04, 08:42 PM
Tony Meloche

Mark Keith wrote:

starman wrote in message ...

How long has it been since Loran stations used that area of the
spectrum? I remember hearing them on/about 1700-Khz at least 30-years
ago.

Been a good while. Over 20 years. Maybe late 70's???? I know they
were gone in the early 80's, as thats when I first started using 160m,
and I never had to deal with that awful racket. I sure remember it
from the 60's and maybe part of the 70's. Terrible noise...MK

Yeah, I remember - if I'm remembering Loran correctly, it sounded
like
10,000 air conditioners running at once, or a squadron of B-17's.

Tony

Old February 4th 04, 01:01 AM
starman

Tony Meloche wrote:

Mark Keith wrote:

starman wrote in message ...

How long has it been since Loran stations used that area of the
spectrum? I remember hearing them on/about 1700-Khz at least 30-years
ago.

Been a good while. Over 20 years. Maybe late 70's???? I know they
were gone in the early 80's, as thats when I first started using 160m,
and I never had to deal with that awful racket. I sure remember it
from the 60's and maybe part of the 70's. Terrible noise...MK

Yeah, I remember - if I'm remembering Loran correctly, it sounded
like
10,000 air conditioners running at once, or a squadron of B-17's.

Tony

I think you're recalling the old data utility (Sitor?) that sounded like
the roar of airplane engines. The Loran sound had a kind of phase shift
quality to it.