RadioBanter

-   -   Is shortwave a good alternative to cable TV? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/40594-shortwave-good-alternative-cable-tv.html)

[email protected] February 11th 04 02:56 PM

Is shortwave a good alternative to cable TV?

Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
doing things around the house.

Is there interesting programming available via shortwave? Is my idea
sound? What good receivers are worth looking at?

Diverd4777 February 11th 04 03:25 PM

Yeah, sure, dump your Cable & go Shortwave....

I mean, are you really gonna miss home Shopping Network ? ?

Theres lots of good stuff on SWR;

Look at Sony 7600, YB400 and Sangean 505A for starters..

AND as far as " other "TV stations, try put up a Second / 3rd. 4rth
antenna & hooking them together..; & see what you can pick up ! !

Dan

[email protected] February 11th 04 03:40 PM

On 11 Feb 2004 15:25:28 GMT, (Diverd4777) wrote:

I mean, are you really gonna miss home Shopping Network ? ?

No! Not at all!

elg110254 February 11th 04 04:24 PM

me6, get thyself a Winegard outdoor antenna-n-rotor, to help expand your
terrestrial signal choices! Never having cable, BBC's World Service Multi-Track
music series helped this hipster through empty-tv's early video era! If ya need
to see cable programing, like pay-per-view fights, "that's what friends are
for"!

[email protected] February 11th 04 04:33 PM

On 11 Feb 2004 16:24:02 GMT, (elg110254) wrote:

If ya need
to see cable programing, like pay-per-view fights, "that's what friends are
for"!

Hahaha!

Good idea!

[email protected] February 11th 04 04:34 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:21:05 -0800, "Tom Sevart"
wrote:

He might miss those wonderful late-night infomercials, though... I mean,
where else can you learn to make millions by placing classified ads or
buying real estate? You know, if those things really work, why don't they
make money that way instead of trying to sell the idea to everyone else?

So is there some good programming available to listen to on shortwave?

Fung-Soo-Eegg February 11th 04 05:30 PM

wrote in message
Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Get a Dish Network or Direct TV system.
I pay $24 per month for 200+ channels.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
I am doing things around the house.
Is there interesting programming available via shortwave? Is my idea
sound? What good receivers are worth looking at?

Domestic Shortwave Radio is full of 3 things: Jeezoids, Jokers and
Jake-the-Fakes. Foreign shortwave is informative but remember
that 50+ percent of what you'll hear will be the crap of Brother
Stair and Alex Jones, with a smattering of crooks who hawk
overpriced gold coins of questionable pedigree and water filtration
devices that don't work worth a damm.

Keep these in mind and find a used shortwave at a yard
sale or on e-Bay. Sangean radios are very good as are
some of the (now-discontinued) Radio Shack models.

Chandler7600 February 11th 04 05:48 PM

YES! there is good programming to listen to on Shortwave;
Mostly ( IMHO) afternoon & night...

- Whats your Budget..?? How much can you spend to try it out..

Subject: Is shortwave a good alternative to cable TV?

Incognito February 11th 04 05:50 PM

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_curr.html

Has reviews of most of the popular SWL Radios.

Also eHam.com has reviews.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/8

Lots of junk on Short Wave -- sorry to say -- but some good (and bad)
perspectives from other countries news casts

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

One May Know Of The Whole World Without Leaving The Shelter Of Their Own
Home -- Lao-Tse - 500 BC