Old February 19th 04, 07:03 PM
Maximus

Default Powering DX394 with batteries

I don't have the money to buy a motorcycle battery and trickle charger so I
bought to 6 volt lantern batteries and an adaptor to plug into the dc plug
on the back of the radio. I disconnected the AC cord from the wall and
applied the batteries to the adaptor and tried to trun on the radio - nada
s.

I know I am missing something miniscule so I am hoping one of you
electronical amtateur radio folks can help me out. The radio works fine on
AC, but every year we have a significant outtage and having battery power
for my baby would be a lot of fun s while other things are not working
which migfht be sources of interference. Thanks in advance

Il Dolce Far Niente

Old February 19th 04, 08:19 PM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:03:16 -0600, Maximus wrote
(in message ):

I don't have the money to buy a motorcycle battery and trickle charger so I
bought to

two? (not being nitpicky here - we need to know if it is one or two (or more
batteries).

6 volt lantern batteries and an adaptor

What adapter?

Come to think of it, how much voltage does a 394 need on DC operation?

to plug into the dc plug
on the back of the radio. I disconnected the AC cord from the wall

On some - not all - the AC poswer supply cord has to be disconnected from the
radio.

and
applied the batteries to the adaptor and tried to trun on the radio - nada
s.

I know I am missing something miniscule so I am hoping one of you
electronical amtateur radio folks

[chuckle] This is about the only rec radio ng where the majority of people
are not "hams" (but we like them anyway).

can help me out. The radio works fine on
AC, but every year we have a significant outtage and having battery power
for my baby would be a lot of fun s while other things are not working
which migfht be sources of interference. Thanks in advance

Yep. The last place I lived - whenever there was a storm - my wife and I
would go out on the front porch to hear the transformers explode. There was
nearly always one hit and, generally but not always, one that would affec us.

I took count one year and it worked out to an outage every 6 weeks.

Il Dolce Far Niente

/gray/

Old February 19th 04, 10:44 PM
Maximus

Two 6 volt lantern battieries connected parallel - positive to positive and
negative to negative and the positive lead to the positive terminal on the
connector, and the negative lead to the negative terminal . I don't remember
the part number of the adaptor, and I returned it. It fit into the hole
properly but evidently did not connect right with soemthing. The line cord
does not disconnect from the radio. It says 13.8 volts on the back of the
radio but the PDF for the radio says 12 volts.

Ever see a bird get annihilated by an exploding insulator g ?

When the trees hit the wires around here the explosion echoes impressively
throughout the entire valley, the sky lights up like Phu Bai during incoming
and of course the lights go out LOL.

.com...

Old February 20th 04, 12:56 AM
Mark S. Holden

Maximus wrote:
Two 6 volt lantern battieries connected parallel - positive to positive and
negative to negative and the positive lead to the positive terminal on the
connector, and the negative lead to the negative terminal . I don't remember
the part number of the adaptor, and I returned it. It fit into the hole
properly but evidently did not connect right with soemthing. The line cord
does not disconnect from the radio. It says 13.8 volts on the back of the
radio but the PDF for the radio says 12 volts.

Ever see a bird get annihilated by an exploding insulator g ?

When the trees hit the wires around here the explosion echoes impressively
throughout the entire valley, the sky lights up like Phu Bai during incoming
and of course the lights go out LOL.
snip

OK, if you had the batteries in parallel, it would still be 6v - and the
radio wants about 12.

Try them in series.

Old February 20th 04, 03:02 AM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:44:40 -0600, Maximus wrote
(in message t):

Two 6 volt lantern battieries connected parallel - positive to positive and
negative to negative and the positive lead to the positive terminal on the
connector, and the negative lead to the negative terminal .

There it be. Go with series - you want the voltage additive.

I don't remember
the part number of the adaptor, and I returned it. It fit into the hole
properly but evidently did not connect right with soemthing. The line cord
does not disconnect from the radio.

Then, in all probability, I suggested the wrong thing totally [grin].

It says 13.8 volts on the back of the
radio but the PDF for the radio says 12 volts.

13.8 volts and 12 volts are the same thing [gray dux].

A car battery is 13.8 (of course if two of them are used ala Army
duece-and-a-half, it's 28 volts [sigh].

But if you're using dry cells 9 x 1.5 will work just fine.

And if you're using rechargeable's, the best number would be eleven.

Ever see a bird get annihilated by an exploding insulator g ?

Much the worse. Going from my grandmother's across the causeway (this on the
coast of NC), the seagulls would drop clams on the road to break them open.
Of course, sometimes a car would come between the gull and the road. And -
you knew this was coming - sometimes it would be the windshield of the car.

When the trees hit the wires around here the explosion echoes impressively
throughout the entire valley, the sky lights up like Phu Bai during incoming
and of course the lights go out LOL.

The silliest thing I ever saw was on 31Dec68/01Jan69 (this from my vantage
point atop Signal Hill at Enari (south of Pleiku) when, instead of a "Magic
Minute", the 4th ID musta emptied every round they had in the entire camp and
ordered more on a take-out (it's not DiGiorno, it's Ordnance Corps) order.
Lasted durn close to an hour. And set quite a bit of the woodland just past
the perimeter on fire (which was fine!).

Old February 20th 04, 04:50 AM
Maximus

Gary, I just wanted to let you know that your advice worked ! Thank you very
much. the interference I was concerned with did not go away, but at least if
the power goes out, it might and I'll have a way to power up the receiver
S. As Dr. McCoy said once on Star Trek "By golly I think I could cure a
rainy day" .

Old February 20th 04, 06:01 AM
Gray Shockley

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:50:49 -0600, Maximus wrote
(in message t):

Gary, I just wanted to let you know that your advice worked !

Since it worked, you have to call me "Gray". When it doesn't work, "Gary" is
just fine [bwg].

Thank you very
much. the interference I was concerned with did not go away,

Well, let's solve that problem. Are you in a house? If so, then the
interference is very easy to track down. Find all of your circuit-breaker and
fuse boxes (our last house had four of those suckas). Turn them all off. If
you still have interference, it's almost always street lights (or street
transformers or street whatchamaycallits).

If it goes away, then shut back off the last breaker or fuse and see if it
goes away. If it does, start unplugging stuff (/not/ turning off -
unplugging).

Here's an item: we've been dealing with interference on this NG for forever
and the great majority of the time, it's been a computer /monitor/. That's
one of the main reasons I use ViewSonic monitors (the other is that they use
Trintrons without Sony's horrible monitor electronics). I have four shortwave
radios within 18-24" of the Viewsonic (17"-model A75f - probably made for
3-1/2 weeks) and the ViewSonic just doesn't interfer.

but at least if
the power goes out, it might and I'll have a way to power up the receiver
S.

Well, there certainly is that. When I lived out in the boonies, I used my
"Freeplay" everytime the electricity went down.

As Dr. McCoy said once on Star Trek "By golly I think I could cure a
rainy day" .

Gray Shockley
Jim, the radio is dead.