Old February 24th 04, 11:29 AM
Jim Douglas

Default Sure Wish I Had $3500.00 - Collins Radio On EBAY

Someday I will get one of these.
--

Jim Douglas
http:\\www.genesis-software.com

Latitude 32.5818
Longitude -96.5412
Elevation 497

Old February 24th 04, 03:59 PM
LW

"Jim Douglas" wrote ...

Someday I will get one of these.

We saw two almost as clean as this at Dayton last year; one sold for
$550 and the other went for $600.

This one - the title calls it Collins, and some of the internals bear
the Collins label, but the description states it was made "by Motorola
for Collins".
Old February 24th 04, 05:23 PM
Jim Haynes

And if you get a clunker cheap there are people who restore them for
less money than that.

Also, Collins on the nameplate means nothing more than Collins on the
nameplate; because the individual modules are interchangeable among
various manufacturers. Now if you can find one with Helena Rubinstein
on the nameplate, you've really found something.
--

jhaynes at alumni dot uark dot edu

Old February 24th 04, 05:28 PM
N8KDV

Jim Haynes wrote:

And if you get a clunker cheap there are people who restore them for
less money than that.

Also, Collins on the nameplate means nothing more than Collins on the
nameplate; because the individual modules are interchangeable among
various manufacturers. Now if you can find one with Helena Rubinstein
on the nameplate, you've really found something.

The Helena Rubinstein R390's are indeed rare!

--

jhaynes at alumni dot uark dot edu

Old February 24th 04, 05:52 PM
Panzer240

N8KDV wrote in news:403B89AA.EAB19701
@nospam.iserv.net:

Jim Haynes wrote:

And if you get a clunker cheap there are people who restore them for
less money than that.

Also, Collins on the nameplate means nothing more than Collins on the
nameplate; because the individual modules are interchangeable among
various manufacturers. Now if you can find one with Helena Rubinstein
on the nameplate, you've really found something.

The Helena Rubinstein R390's are indeed rare!

They are ???

--
Panzer

Old February 24th 04, 05:54 PM
N8KDV

Jim Haynes wrote:

And if you get a clunker cheap there are people who restore them for
less money than that.

Also, Collins on the nameplate means nothing more than Collins on the
nameplate; because the individual modules are interchangeable among
various manufacturers. Now if you can find one with Helena Rubinstein
on the nameplate, you've really found something.

The Helena Rubinstein R390's are indeed rare!

They are ???

Yes, they are.

--
Panzer

Old February 24th 04, 06:02 PM
N8KDV

Jim Haynes wrote:

And if you get a clunker cheap there are people who restore them for
less money than that.

Also, Collins on the nameplate means nothing more than Collins on the
nameplate; because the individual modules are interchangeable among
various manufacturers. Now if you can find one with Helena Rubinstein
on the nameplate, you've really found something.

The Helena Rubinstein R390's are indeed rare!

They are ???

Do a Google on Helena Rubenstein R390A

--
Panzer

Old February 24th 04, 06:07 PM
Mike Knudsen

Also, Collins on the nameplate means nothing more than Collins on the
nameplate; because the individual modules are interchangeable among
various manufacturers. Now if you can find one with Helena Rubinstein
on the nameplate, you've really found something.

This is definitely true of the R390-A, but less so of the non-A model. Pretty
sure Helena R. only got into the "A" production.

My R390-A has every module by a different maker, which is the way I like it,
since it shows off the modular nature of the radio.

I think my non-A is limited to Collins and Motorola (no lipstick smears :-)

BTW, I got my R390 (same model as the one on eBay) for $150 near the end of a
radio swap meet. The guy practically begged me to buy it out of his trunk. I
got it home, plugged it in on the garage floor, stuck in a pair of phones and
-- it WORKED on all bands! Still does, even tho my "A" model quit on me.

SW content listeners and AM Hams prefer the non-A for sound quality, while
DXers who try to dig out weak signals and CW Hams prefer the A. Both need to
be "hacked" for good SSB.

For $3500 you could buy a decent R390, pay someone to fix it up, then put 100
hours of your own time into making the cosmetic cleanups to equal the one on
auction. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.