Old February 24th 04, 09:08 PM

Default GRUNDIG 100-PE

After hearing so much good about the 100PE,
I was pleased to see it on sale at J&R. ( $19.95 +s&h )
( thanks to whoever posted it here )

It arrived today, and I ran it through its paces.
Quite frankly, I'm dissapointed !

Unless I got a defective unit;
MWB reception is "****-poor"
Audio Volume is "so-so"
Lots of "spatter" in the FM band.
Fair SW reception.

I did a station-by-station comparison
with my cheapo Bell&Howell radio,
and the $12 B&H got reception
where the Grundig got nothing.

????

rj
Old February 24th 04, 10:59 PM
snow

I have had both radios, and of the two I prefer the 100-PE.
But neither is close to a digital.

Old February 25th 04, 12:56 AM
Jim Hackett

I have both and all the B&H picks up is the 50000 watt blowtorch down the
street. It picks it up across the band. All bands except FM. It is one
P.O.S. I am very pleased with the mini-100. I guess it goes to show that
on a sample to sample basis, Chinese radios are extremely "variable" to say
the least

Old February 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Jim Hackett

That's true. I paid $8 for the B&H, $20 for the mini-100...

"Pierre L" wrote in message
. ..
It also depends on the expectations. I mean, it's a pocket radio. It's not
going to compare to a 7600GR or a Sat-800.
Pierre

ink.net...

Old February 26th 04, 01:12 AM
Pirate Bill

Called J&R this morning to order a Mini World 100 PE since you said they
were ten bucks cheaper there....They said they didnt have any....havent
had them listed ever as far as they can tell?

Called AES and ordered one for $ 29.95 as a small birthday gift for an
old friend of mine thats really getting into shortwave...He has a YB 400
and a R-75 and a few other higher end recievers but liked my 100 because
its simple and fun.

I know of half a dozen around here and all of em work great....I
regularly listen to a lot of staions in the middle east and Australia
even on mine...sounds like you got a drop test model to me??

Jim Hackett wrote:
That's true. I paid $8 for the B&H, $20 for the mini-100...

"Pierre L" wrote in message
. ..

It also depends on the expectations. I mean, it's a pocket radio. It's not
going to compare to a 7600GR or a Sat-800.
Pierre

hlink.net...

Old February 26th 04, 02:25 PM
Charlie

I've owned a 100PE for almost one year. It's a nice little pocket
radio and
adequately sensitive. Very long Battery life also. I purchased mine
online with a free shipping certificare total was &19.95. They shipped
it UPS to me in Maryland and I had it the next day (to my surprise).
I'd guess they discontin8ed stocking it. I find it a great portable to
slip in my shirt pocket.
It's a solid little ting, with nice "tight" tuning.

Only ting I dont like is the nonswivel antenna which I'm looking
around for a substitute . If anyone has any ideas please advise me via
this group
Regards CB

Old February 27th 04, 12:04 AM
Mojo

I've had my 100PE for around 8 months, and have been pleased (and I
paid thirty bucks for it at a local Radio Shack). SW reception is
ruprisingly good, and the little thing is fairly well put-together.
I've listened to it on a daily basis since its purchase, and the
battery life is good, too.

The same could not be said for a Kaito WRX911 I bought for about the
same price. I've seen a number of favorable posts and reviews on it
here, but my sample wasn't impressive at all. Reception was noisy and
not at all sensitive, and its build quality was somewhat poor.
Disappointing, especially considering it's from the same OEM
manufacturer as the Grundig.

The Mini 100 is the best of the cheapies I've used so far.

jm

(Charlie) wrote in message om...
I've owned a 100PE for almost one year. It's a nice little pocket
radio and
adequately sensitive. Very long Battery life also. I purchased mine
online . . .
Regards CB

Tecsun PL-230 (Grundig YB-550) Review (NEW RADIO) Judah Smith Shortwave 10 October 7th 05 02:32 PM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM