Old February 25th 04, 05:19 PM
kamalakar pasupuleti

Default SW - Radios

I am looking for a sensitive SW radio which can pick up radio stations
from India and Ceylon which normally transmit vintage hindi music . I
have a Grundig
FR - 200 and sometimes I am able to tune India ( Vividh Bharti ) on 31
meters .
I had no success so far with radio ceylon which is on 25 meter band .

I am located at Milwaukee - WI .Can someone suggest me a good
SW radio
which has a good sensitivity and stability . Pl . help .

Regards ,
Kam
Old February 26th 04, 02:54 AM
kamalakar pasupuleti

(Diverd4777) wrote in message ...
Kam:
The FR-200 is a single reduction set, you need something more sophisticated for
real DX'ing..

Try the Sony 7600GR.

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/icf-sw7600gr.html

or this one...

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/1102.html

review..

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1102.htm

- BTW, what kind of external antenna are you using; that is 55% of a Shortwave
radio..

Dan

A million thanks to you Dan for your help in finding a
dual convrsion digital sw radio . During my student days 1959 - 61 in
India the institute had a Hallicrafters - SX - 100 and was much
impressed with its performance . Later I collected many WW -2
communication receivers like the Bendix - 624 , AN/ARC - 5 etc and
made them operational . Today ny knowledge of digital technology is
definetely lacking and I was totally ignorant that dual conversion
digital sets are available . That's a little btiefing about me .

Coming to the next point at present I am not using any external
antenna and the telescope antenna along with the receiver is the only
source . Pl. suggest if an external antenna would help , if so which
one .

How does Kaito KA 1102 compare with Hallicrafters SX-100
performane wise.

I look forward to your feed back on this matter .

Best regards ,
Kam

Old March 1st 04, 01:30 AM
starman

kamalakar pasupuleti wrote:

I am looking for a sensitive SW radio which can pick up radio stations
from India and Ceylon which normally transmit vintage hindi music . I
have a Grundig
FR - 200 and sometimes I am able to tune India ( Vividh Bharti ) on 31
meters .
I had no success so far with radio ceylon which is on 25 meter band .

I am located at Milwaukee - WI .Can someone suggest me a good
SW radio
which has a good sensitivity and stability . Pl . help .

Regards ,
Kam

Many shortwave radios are sensitive enough to receive the stations you
want to hear. A good antenna is just as important as the radio. Here's a
short list of radios to consider (in no particular order):

Grundig Satellit-800
Drake R8B
Icom R-75
Sangean ATS-909
Sony ICF-SW7600GR
AOR AR-7030+

Old March 1st 04, 05:19 PM
kamalakar pasupuleti

starman wrote in message ...
[...]

Is the reel antenna with 25 ft wire sufficient for this purpose .
I live in an apartment and cannot have anything other than this .

Kam

Old March 2nd 04, 12:39 AM
Dan

I don't think the 818 is made anymore. Only the 818cs.

Gray Shockley wrote in message s.com...
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 7:38:24 -0600, Dan wrote
(in message ) :

How about a Sangean ATS-909?

Sangean 818 without the cassette player (in other words, with the larger
speaker) would be much better for listening to music.

(or anything with good external speakers)

Old March 2nd 04, 12:57 AM
Mike W

You're correct, the 818 is definitely no longer in production. I was
informed of that by service reps at Sangean's, El Monte, CA facility. They
still have small production runs to satisfy warranty returns, etc., but
thats it. Evidently the 818ACS outsold the 818 by quite a bit, but I
preferred the 818 with the larger speaker also.

om...