Old February 25th 04, 06:36 PM
Cliff at the Shack

Default Interesting phenomenon

Last night, I reattached the antenna to my R8 after some lightning and
began surfing the memories. On 6925 I heard what sounded like a
big-signal pirate.

After tuning around, I heard other signals. Then I realized they all
sounded a lot like my local MW broadcaster. I'd never heard spurs on
the shortwave bands with this receiver.

Doh! Had I been zapped by lightning?

All it took was wiggling the antenna lead-in alligator clip to make
the pseudosignals go away.

How 'bout that? Those stories about corroded connections causing
rectification and spurious signals are true.

Registered Monitor BR549
The Shack on the Bayou - www.ghg.net/cliffwatts/

Drake R8, Sony ICF-SW100, Heathkit GR-64 (retired)
Realistic Pro-2006, Bearcat BC-245XLT
Old February 25th 04, 07:30 PM
Maximus

Never heard of that before, but that is interesting ! I used to use a
galena crystal from my rock collection to make a crystal radio LOL.

m...