Old February 26th 04, 11:06 PM
Maximus

Default Calling N8KDV

If I shot a wire up over the highest limb of the fir tree in my yard, and
connected the ends to make a loop out of it and ran the lead from the loop
to the house via the insulator in the tree trunk, would that be a good SW
listening antenna - would it have any directionality (just one loop but
100' or so long) ? THANKS

Strength and Honor

Old February 26th 04, 11:08 PM
N8KDV

Maximus wrote:

If I shot a wire up over the highest limb of the fir tree in my yard, and
connected the ends to make a loop out of it and ran the lead from the loop
to the house via the insulator in the tree trunk, would that be a good SW
listening antenna - would it have any directionality (just one loop but
100' or so long) ? THANKS

You gonna feed it with coax or just a single wire? Give it a try at any rate
and see how it works.

Strength and Honor

Old February 27th 04, 12:18 AM
Diverd4777

Probably work OK..
Be a great Lightning rod too ...

Old February 27th 04, 04:54 AM
RHF

MAXIMUS,

Sounds like you would have the Wire Antenna Element going from
the Insulator up the Tree to the Limb and back down the Tree to
the Insulator. Then from the Insulator via the Feed-in-Line to
the Radio in the House. Yes you have a Loop but it is so
narrow and thin that it effectively a Vertical Antenna and thus
basically an Omni-Directional Antenna. You could use 300 Ohm
Twin Lead or Coax Cable with a Balun; plus a Ground Rod and
Wire at the base of the Tree.

NOTE: Using a 'thin' 'narrow' Vertical Loop Antenna like this
can help reduce the Man Made Noise that a vertical antenna is
more susceptible to picking up.

You may wish to read:
"Above-the-Fence Field SWL Antenna for a Field Radio"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/417
The basic Antenna design used for this Field Antenna can be
adapted to many individual situations including your Vertical
"Up-and-Down" the Tree Loop Antenna.

iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and beyond the Beyond !
..
..
= = = "Maximus"

CW Testing Question Mike Coslo Policy 52 May 29th 04 09:24 AM
calling kc8qjp calling kc8qjp Keyclowns Are On Notice CB 0 March 27th 04 04:25 AM
Calling N8KDV Maximus Shortwave 12 February 1st 04 08:13 PM
Calling N8KDV Maximus Shortwave 3 January 14th 04 03:09 AM
CALLING L E O CALLING L E O K4-OLD-KING-ALLIGATOR General 0 September 27th 03 04:15 AM