Old February 28th 04, 05:12 PM
Ai de hua

Default DX Cluster for Shortwave??

As a Ham, I sometimes rely on Eham's DX Cluster to locate rare DX
stations...Wondering if there's a DX Cluster for Shortwave or if anybody's ever
considered this. Seems like a good idea and somewhat reduces the randomness of
SWLing....

Your thoughts?

Ed NI6S
Old February 28th 04, 06:22 PM
Ken Wilson

Ed,

I sure wish there were. None I know of ????

There is a SWL chat-room type of thing. Star chat or something ? I do not
know a thing about using a chat room so I stay away.

At times there are some tips here. Most of the veteran DX'ers appear to
avoid being here. I guess I can understand ..... with all of the junk that
is posted here.

73, Ken KG4BIG

Old February 28th 04, 10:51 PM
J999w

This is what you want guys:

http://dxworld.com/swbclog.html

Also the LW NDB gets a lot of action. BCB not so much so, the big boys of BCB
DXing use the NRC mailing list.

jw
wb9uai
Old February 28th 04, 10:56 PM
Maximus

This place is better than most s. I thought this place was where we could
post our findings for review of fellow listeners ? If more people posted
what they hear it would be more interesting ! this also seems to be a place
where you can learn a lot if you post a relevant question. There are some
knowledgeable people here. I liked Passport to Wordlband Radio more last
year than this year - too many missing or wrong entries. It is still a good
reference, but not always helpful when it counts.

Strength and Honor

Old February 28th 04, 11:35 PM
Ken Wilson

Thanks for the link jw.

I was thinking live on the fly stuff. Not a day or two old.

73, Ken

Old February 29th 04, 02:20 AM
J999w

Thanks for the link jw.

I was thinking live on the fly stuff. Not a day or two old.

73, Ken

Ummm ... that IS live on the fly stuff.

:^p

Nobody has been posting. It needs more action !

We use that same site for VHF contesting for live, up to the date reporting.
It's as quick as one can get.

jw
wb9uai

Old February 29th 04, 04:40 AM
Waterperson77

Nobody has been posting. It needs more action !

well, I'm getting back into the radio listening hobby after years of absence.

However, all I crrently have for shortwave lisstening is an IC-R3.

I used to listen to shortwave years ago with other radios.

I got the R3 for it's video capabilites as advertised, but never did see any
video on it other than broadcast tv (until I got my own wavecom video
transmitter and seen how poorly it performed that, while the wavecom reciever
was much better at recieving that a lot further away than the R3 could).

But the specs seem to be okay on the shortwave bands to me. Well, almost.

The radio's sensitivity is really bad up to 5 MHZ (including real bad
reception on the AM broadcast bandd, also).

But the sensitivity of the radio in AM mode improves starting at 5MHZ

I think the R3 was mismarketed. From the specs, and actual listening, it seems
as though the R3 was made to pick up the (old) regular scanner bands the best.

but it seems to be very poor at picking up 2.4 GHZ video, which it was
advertised as being good for.

Old February 29th 04, 05:11 AM
Waterperson77

I spent a lot of money to get my R3, so I probably won't be getting another
radio anytime soon.

So you're all stuck with my reception reports being heard on an IC-R3.

I realize that it's not the best radio, and not the best shortwave radio, but
right now, it's the only working radio I have that is capable of tuning
shortwave (in AM mode).

It won't tune SSB.

Old February 29th 04, 04:37 PM
J999w

I posted a test message to:

http://dxworld.com/swbclog.html

it came back in 2 seconds.

We just gotta get people to use it !

jw
wb9uai

Hey Leland.. Twistedhed CB 52 August 31st 04 04:25 PM
DX Cluster Ahmad - 9K2DB Dx 2 April 12th 04 10:33 PM
DX Cluster Ahmad - 9K2DB Dx 0 April 12th 04 09:50 PM
SMS Cluster Spots. GARY CLAYTON Dx 2 April 6th 04 09:20 PM
SMS Cluster Spots. GARY CLAYTON Dx 0 April 6th 04 09:55 AM