Old February 28th 04, 09:09 PM
Love2camp5

Default Received my new radio yesterday (long)

First of all, thanks for the advice I have received here and the answers to my
questions. You treated a newcomer very nicely.

I received my Sangean ATS818ACS Thursday. First thought out of the box was "IT
IS HUGE!" Of course, that was comparing it to my Grundig Yacht Boy 400.
Actually it is just slightly larger than our CCRadio, and not as bulky.

The box showed the black radio (yuck!) but it was indeed the metallic colored
one instead (yippee!) That is the color I preferred. (probably a girl thing!)

The hum on MW that I had on the YB is not present on the Sangean. The actual
reception on MW is slightly better on the Sangean, but the sound is so much
nicer and far more volume. I can work around the house and hear the radio just
fine; I guess a portable was just not for me.

The shortwave reception is much, much better than the YB. I have listened to
Radio China International, Radio Sweden, the BBC, and Radio Canada Intl. both
mornings - and with the YB I couldn't get any stations in well enough to
listen in the morning hours. ALso with the YB, no matter how strong the
station sounded, there was always that nice "sshhh" sound over top of the
signal. These strong SW stations come in crystal clear on the Sangean.

No success with SSB yet, I will have to fiddle with that and figure out how to
tune them in.

I am also getting FM stations like crazy. I am very pleased with the radio.

The cassette tape part of the unit works very well. The light stays on for
several seconds when you push the button; apparently no way to keep the light
turned on.

Since there is no "DX" or "Local" switch, does the "RF Gain" knob accomplish
the same thing?

The radio has such a long whip antenna that is hit the ceiling in my kitchen
with the radio on the counter. I can either not extend it entirely, or tilt it
a little.

Anyway, I am pleased. Yesterday morning I heard "Life in China" for the first
time. Interesting.

Now the Yacht Boy will be sold.

Thanks again,
Linda
Pennsylvania

Old February 28th 04, 09:31 PM
Sanjaya

"Love2camp5" wrote...
First of all, thanks for the advice I have received here and the answers to my
questions. You treated a newcomer very nicely.

I received my Sangean ATS818ACS Thursday.

[happy camper post snipped]

Congrats on the new radio.
May you have many wonderful
hours of listening : )

Old February 28th 04, 10:19 PM
Gray Shockley

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:09:01 -0600, Love2camp5 wrote
(in message ):

The box showed the black radio (yuck!) but it was indeed the metallic colored
one instead (yippee!) That is the color I preferred. (probably a girl
thing!)

Naw; it's the "new style". Imo, it looks better and, also, it doesn't show up
dust so badly (I clean the radios [grin]).

The hum on MW that I had on the YB is not present on the Sangean. The actual
reception on MW is slightly better on the Sangean, but the sound is so much
nicer and far more volume. I can work around the house and hear the radio
just fine; I guess a portable was just not for me.

The shortwave reception is much, much better than the YB. I have listened to
Radio China International, Radio Sweden, the BBC, and Radio Canada Intl. both
mornings - and with the YB I couldn't get any stations in well enough to
listen in the morning hours. ALso with the YB, no matter how strong the
station sounded, there was always that nice "sshhh" sound over top of the
signal. These strong SW stations come in crystal clear on the Sangean.

No success with SSB yet, I will have to fiddle with that and figure out how
to tune them in.

Turn the BFO pot to the center position, turn on the BFO switch (located
right above the pot) and, then, use the pot as a "fine tuning" knob.

If it's more elusive than usual, use the tuning knob to peak the signal.
Another thing to try is the "AM Wide/Narrow" switch.

I am also getting FM stations like crazy. I am very pleased with the radio.

The cassette tape part of the unit works very well. The light stays on for
several seconds when you push the button; apparently no way to keep the light
turned on.

Since there is no "DX" or "Local" switch, does the "RF Gain" knob accomplish
the same thing?

The radio has such a long whip antenna that is hit the ceiling in my kitchen
with the radio on the counter. I can either not extend it entirely, or tilt
it a little.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/misc/0022.html

The number "0022" stand.

/gray/

Old February 28th 04, 11:06 PM
Maximus

I don't have that receiver but am wishing I did s.
For sideband, I use Upper Sideband mostly, and turn down the gain for really
strong signals, as that makes it easier to clarify the sideband signal. Some
amateurs use AM, and some use Lower sideband. Most everyone else use upper
sideband - dunno why.

I am glad you have something that actually has good sound. That makes it all
worthwhile. My DX 394 does not have good sound S. I run the sound to some
stereo speakers I salvaged from a boombox that quit working - the speakers
still work fine.

If you ever get teh "antenna itch" be careful about plugging the antenna
lead into the receiver as that can be fragile.

You might want to get Passport to Worldband Radio, Popular Communications
magazine or Monitoring Times magazine to help identify stations you hear.

Lastly, ENJOY !!! Please let us know what you are finding.

Strength and Honor

.com...

Old February 28th 04, 11:27 PM
Telamon

In article .net,
"Maximus" wrote:

I don't have that receiver but am wishing I did s.
For sideband, I use Upper Sideband mostly, and turn down the gain for really
strong signals, as that makes it easier to clarify the sideband signal. Some
amateurs use AM, and some use Lower sideband. Most everyone else use upper
sideband - dunno why.

I usually hear USB above 10 MHz and LSB below 10 MHz. It's a non-formal
ham rule.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old February 28th 04, 11:38 PM
Stinger

Thanks for that insight, Telamon.

I read in the manual for one of my radios that "advanced" hams tend to use
USB, but having listened to some of them, I doubted that theory.

Yours makes much more sense.

-- Stinger

Old February 29th 04, 03:38 AM
Frank Dresser

"Stinger" wrote in message
news
Thanks for that insight, Telamon.

I read in the manual for one of my radios that "advanced" hams tend to

use
USB, but having listened to some of them, I doubted that theory.

Yours makes much more sense

-- Stinger

It goes back to the first generation SSB transmitters which often
generated SSB around 9 Mc. Heterodyning the frequency lower inverts the
frequencies, which turned the USB at 9 Mc to LSB at 7 or 3 Mc.
Heterodyning up doesn't change the frequency relationship, and USB
remains USB.

Frank Dresser

Old February 29th 04, 06:17 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:06:01 -0600, Maximus wrote
(in message .net):

I don't have that receiver but am wishing I did s.

I may have one of the old black ones for trade or sell soon.As I've
chronicled lately, my new apartment - basically - doesn't allow shortwave
reception (wipes tears from face).

However, though I don't smoke in the radio/computer room, plenty of smoke
(cigarette that is) certainly drifts in from the other rooms.

I'm prolly gonna get rid of the DX-392 or the DX-398, a Grove SP-200, a
Select-A-Tenna and a RS Loop.

[...]

Retirement and war stories,

Gray Shockley
----------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio+ w/RS Loop
Justice AM Antenna
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
---------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old February 29th 04, 02:20 PM
tom Holden

"Maximus" wrote
I am glad you have something that actually has good sound. That makes it all
worthwhile. My DX 394 does not have good sound S. I run the sound to some
stereo speakers I salvaged from a boombox that quit working - the speakers
still work fine.

If you are handy with a soldering iron (or have a friend who is), you
can make major improvements in the sound quality of the DX-394 with
the following mods found at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RADIOSHACKDX394/ :
1. AGC mod for slower release speed - really cleans up distortion on
AM stations with heavy bass modulation
2. Mod to defeat the Automatic Noise Limiter - ANL is permanently in
circuit and distorts on heavy amplitude modulation (90 - 95%
modulation)
3. Extended bass mod - increases size of output coupling capacitor for
better bass response.

There are around 50 other mods described on the site -plenty to keep
you busy and rewarded with a small investment in parts. ;-)

73, Tom
Old February 29th 04, 02:40 PM
Stinger

Gray,

As a final effort, it might be worthwhile to try that "phone line as
antenna" solution various people have been kicking around, or a "slinky"
that you only deploy across your apartment when you're listening to radio.

-- Stinger