Old February 29th 04, 01:38 AM
{FireArm}

Default New To SWL

Hi im new to SWL, i recently bought a 10 section universal anteanna
(its about 1.35m long) for my Icom IC-R5 although im aware that the R5
isnt a dedicated shortwave reciver i have been picking things up from
india, russia, japan and im quite impressed with the results however
there are a few things that im not sure about.

Someone told me to get even better reception i should try to tie a
peice of copper wire around the top of my antenna and then run the
copper wire up around my window can anyone tell me if this is true?,
also i most commonly have been listening to "The Voice Of Russia World
Service" however i have found that when i try to listen in the day
time i cant pick it up also sometimes its changes frequency for
example the other day i was reciving on 6.160 AM, but then a few days
later it was 7.410 AM, can anyone tell me why this is? im located in
the north east of england if that helps.

All Help Greatly Appreciated
{FireArm}
Old February 29th 04, 02:14 PM
Maximus

Attaching an external length of wire (preferably insulated) will gather more
signal, and more interesting signals. I'm unfamiliar with your receiver, but
there is likely a connection point for just such a purpose. Also, if you
have a Ground connection point, connect a stout wire from that point to a
bare metal rod pounded into the earth, or to a metal cold water pipe that
you know for sure goes into the earth. that can also help with improving
reception.

It is common for broadcasters to change frequencies during a 24 hour period
because of variations in the layers of the atmosphere that reflect signals .
Daytime reception may be better on higher frequencies, and lower frequencies
tend to be better at night. Sometimes reception at dusk or dawn can be
surprising. Reception also varies over an 11 year period as the number of
sunspots increases and decreases, since solar radiation increases and
decreases in a fairly regular cycle. We have just passed a period when the
number of sunspots has peaked and are declining, so daytime high frequency
reception will degrade for a while.

I hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy listening s.

Strength and Honor

om...

Old February 29th 04, 10:51 PM
RHF

FA,

What you need for your Icom IC-R5 is the "Portable Wire Antenna"
(PWA) that was created and written about by Tom Sevart [N2UHC].

Portable Wire Antenna "PWA" for 'portable' Shortwave Radios.
- - - To 'quote' Tom Sevant
"This is an antenna I put together after having problems
with overload on my Sony 2010 portable shortwave receiver"

Building the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)

Three Ways to Use the "Portable Wire Antenna" (PWA)
..
..
REMEMBER: "The Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of the . . .
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and beyond, The Beyond !
..
..