Old March 10th 04, 12:55 AM
starman

I have two pairs of RS Pro-25's. I bought them for $19.95 each when they
went on sale every year. They have very good sound with low distortion.
They were made for RS by Koss.

Getting back to the topic, I still don't recommend full range (fidelity)
headphones for shortwave listening. They exaggerate the high frequency
heterodynes, if they can't be removed with a notch filter or bandpass
filtering on the receiver. You may not always be aware of those het'
tones but they can lead to listener fatique.
Some of the best shortwave headphones are the old ones with full ear
cups that use small cheap speakers. You can find them at garage sales
and flea markets. They have the kind of speakers found inside of
computer cases which make the 'beap' when you turn the computer on.

the captain wrote:

I have a pair of PRO-25 titanium headphones that are quite nice and
they cost less than $40 new (I got mine used for $5 at a thrift store)

(Dxluver) wrote in message ...
At Radio Shack, they have this pait of phones that are 99.99 that are made out
of titanium. They fit super and definitely 'felt' expensive. Anyone with any
experience with these. Would they be good for DXing?

I have the Optimus Pro40's and have worn out the inside foam part so I have
black electrical tape nicely encircled into it. But I definitely need some
news phones, and I looked at the others and they were junk except this one
pair.

Figures it's made out of titanium and cost $99.99
Is there something I should look at in the specs to bring back to the group?

Old March 10th 04, 01:08 AM
N8KDV

starman wrote:

I have two pairs of RS Pro-25's. I bought them for $19.95 each when they
went on sale every year. They have very good sound with low distortion.
They were made for RS by Koss.

Getting back to the topic, I still don't recommend full range (fidelity)
headphones for shortwave listening. They exaggerate the high frequency
heterodynes, if they can't be removed with a notch filter or bandpass
filtering on the receiver. You may not always be aware of those het'
tones but they can lead to listener fatique.
Some of the best shortwave headphones are the old ones with full ear
cups that use small cheap speakers. You can find them at garage sales
and flea markets. They have the kind of speakers found inside of
computer cases which make the 'beap' when you turn the computer on.

That's why I've always liked my 'el cheapo RS (Archer) 16 ohm phones.

Good voice quality.

Old March 10th 04, 01:27 AM
ShackOfRadios

Just go to radioshack to play with their demos and milk them for
information, don't spend your money there, they are crooks.

Don't shop at radioshack they run sweatshops.
http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Hosted/Files/issue1-demands_of_free_labour(10-39AM)1.mp3
That is a recording of my assistant manager Kevin Sutherland and my
manager Kevin Huang (the oriental guy in the recording) in Mapleview
Mall Radioshack, Burlington Ontario Canada (905-681-7353 is their
phone number, verify the voice if you like).
There are no conditions under which it is appropriate to demand free
off-the-clock labor.

You may also contact him directly at (905) 541 0833
Furthermore you may contact head office at (705) 728 7474
Or email them at

Making people work for free is the same as stealing, and it is also
fraud since hours have to be incorrectly reported. Let these people
know how criminal their activities are.

(Dxluver) wrote in message ...
DX LUVER,

FIRST - Most Headphones today are made for Music Listeners who
want High Fidelity Sound Reproduction. For Radio use this means
FM Stereo Sound.

SECOND - For AM/MW and Shortwave sound reproduction a 'quality'
Headphone that can be used for FM Stereo Listening will do the
Job OK provided that it has a good long term Wear-ability Factor.

For AM/MW Shortwave DXing the Headphone's Wear-Ability-Factor
is Equal to the Headphone's Sound Reproduction Qualities.

For Me - The Headphone's Wear-Ability-Factor is usually an "ODD"
Number and Rating:

#1 = POOR - Less that One Hour and My Ears are 'Sore' and My Head 'Aches'.

#3 = GOOD - After Three Hours My Ears are getting Sore & Sweaty
and My Head is starting to Ache form the pressure of the Headphones.
(Lets me know it time for a Break from the Listening to the Radio.)

#5 = GREAT - After Five Hours My Ears are NOT Sore and My Head
is NOT Aching. (This usually means that I Missed getting up
from the Radio/Receiver and having a Meal )

THREE - About Headphones Sound Reproduction "Qualities:
"IF" you have a good AM/MW Shortwave Radio/Receiver that is a
real DX Machine with both Signal and Audio processing features.
Then the Radio/Receiver will be the "Limiting Factor" in the
Audio Chain and the Sound Level and Audio Reproduction that you
Hear on your Headphones will be a faithful reproduction of what
is being provided by your Radio/Receiver and nothing more.

IMHO: Personal Comfort and Wear-Ability is my primary Concern
in 'selecting' a set of today's quality High Fidelity Headphones
for Radio Listening and DXing.

TIP: Go to the RadioShack Store and Put them on your Head (Not
'plug' into anything.) and then walk around the RadioShack Store
for a Half-Hour and get the Feel of the Headphones on your Head.

NOTE: If you are not 'comfortable' Wearing the Headphone with
out any Sound for a Half-an-Hour; then they are not for you [.]

good post rhf, yeah I don't do the fm listening thing so that's not a problem.
I'll check out those Koss ones when I get a chance for 19.99 and see.
'Thanks again