Old March 3rd 04, 02:03 AM
tommyknocker

Default headphones

I am SO frustrated. For the second day in a row I've been unable to make
out Radio Exterior de Espana's newscast over the speaker of my FRG8800.
I've tried SSB (cuts down the static), the tone and the attenuator but
they seem to be just below audibility level. I'm gonna follow some
advice I was given here a couple weeks ago about using headphones. But I
want to get good quality ones, not cheap jogger's ear buds. What brands
of headphones do you guys use?

Old March 3rd 04, 02:09 AM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

I am SO frustrated. For the second day in a row I've been unable to make
out Radio Exterior de Espana's newscast over the speaker of my FRG8800.
I've tried SSB (cuts down the static), the tone and the attenuator but
they seem to be just below audibility level. I'm gonna follow some
advice I was given here a couple weeks ago about using headphones. But I
want to get good quality ones, not cheap jogger's ear buds. What brands
of headphones do you guys use?

El cheapo old Archer Dynamic 16 ohm headphones. I have two pair. They are
great for SW.

Old March 3rd 04, 03:03 AM
Ken Wilson

Very good question.

I have tried most out there & here are my favorites.

For maximun intelligibility.....Heil Proset . Will make a Hiiisssyyy radio
sound really hiiisssyyy.

For maximum comfort.......Yaesu YH-77 Highs are rolled off.

I wear reading glasses most of the time in the radio room & the smaller
headphones....like the YH-77..... are the most comfortable.

The Kenwood HS-5 is a good set as well if you find them comfortable.

73, Ken

Old March 3rd 04, 03:04 AM
Peter Maus

tommyknocker wrote:
I am SO frustrated. For the second day in a row I've been unable to make
out Radio Exterior de Espana's newscast over the speaker of my FRG8800.
I've tried SSB (cuts down the static), the tone and the attenuator but
they seem to be just below audibility level. I'm gonna follow some
advice I was given here a couple weeks ago about using headphones. But I
want to get good quality ones, not cheap jogger's ear buds. What brands
of headphones do you guys use?

Sennheiser, beyerdynamic, David Clark.

For intelligibility and isolation, David Clark. Hands down.

Ain't cheap. Worth every penny.

Old March 3rd 04, 03:52 AM
Stinger

"tommyknocker" wrote in message
I am SO frustrated. For the second day in a row I've been unable to make
out Radio Exterior de Espana's newscast over the speaker of my FRG8800.
I've tried SSB (cuts down the static), the tone and the attenuator but
they seem to be just below audibility level. I'm gonna follow some
advice I was given here a couple weeks ago about using headphones. But I
want to get good quality ones, not cheap jogger's ear buds. What brands
of headphones do you guys use?

This site specializes in everything headphones -- from ear-buds to
top-of-the-line $1000 audiophile headphones, and has reviews and advice.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php

-- Stinger

Old March 3rd 04, 04:11 AM
David

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1075

I like mine.

Old March 3rd 04, 06:31 AM
Dxluver

El cheapo old Archer Dynamic 16 ohm headphones. I have two pair. They are
great for SW.

I have two also, forget the name of one and it is in the closet with the extra
gear. It has a small break ina connection that I have to fix but they are VERY
cushy, almost like putting your ear in a pillow.....I really need to fix them.

But I use my trusty Optimus Pro 40's, I've used them so much that the inside
foam has worn out so I've had to break out the electrical tape and do a nice
tape job. They are very comfortable.

But yes I need another pai, matter of fact, I have to check the thread I
started on those new titanium ones from Radio Shack. I'll have to say, you
KNOW when you put them on that they are expensive. Hopefully the DX
performance would be the same.
Old March 3rd 04, 05:36 PM
Stephan Grossklass

tommyknocker schrieb:

What brands
of headphones do you guys use?

Sennheiser HD590 - just a bit noisy on the 7600G, 120 ohms vs. maybe 16
ohms output impedance. Had to return a pair of Koss KSC-50s (then
Sennheisers are a tad big for mobile use, though very comfortable),
hopefully I'll get a replacement in this lifetime.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old March 3rd 04, 08:50 PM
Volker Tonn

tommyknocker schrieb:

I am SO frustrated. For the second day in a row I've been unable to make
out Radio Exterior de Espana's newscast over the speaker of my FRG8800.
I've tried SSB (cuts down the static), the tone and the attenuator but
they seem to be just below audibility level. I'm gonna follow some
advice I was given here a couple weeks ago about using headphones. But I
want to get good quality ones, not cheap jogger's ear buds. What brands
of headphones do you guys use?

I always run audio out of my NRD-525 through a Kenwood HiFi-amp with
equalizer and take my AKG K-240Montor headphones when neccecary. Also 2
analog audio filters in series if needed (bandpass, notch, peak).

odo